Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
2nd Heart Surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

2nd Heart Surgery

My mother had valve replacement surgery two years ago.  Because she has always had an issue with excessive bleeding, her cardiologist, surgeon, and hematologist all decided it would be best for her to go with a porcine valve, rather than a mechanical one, so she could forgo the daily blood thinners.  After her surgery, she developed VT, and was placed on a halter monitor twice.  Now, only two years after her initial surgery, the porcine valve is leaking, and she needs to have it replaced, again.  She is only 57 years old.  We are all worried about her undergoing a secondary surgery, and we're also concerned that if she has another porcine or bovine valve, she'll have to have surgery again in another two years.  Are the risks of a second surgery, so soon after the first, exponentially greater, and, would a mechanical valve be a better choice for her? And does VT make the procedure even more risky?

A lot of questions, I know, but, we are all at a bit of a loss.
Thank you!!
Tags: surgery