Heart Rhythm Community
30 -day Cardionet Monitor going off by itself...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

yet I didn't feel anything more than a slight pain in my back on the left side. I thought to myself, "maybe it's indigestion??" because I had just eaten a little bit. But then I wonder if I was just rationalizing something more serious. This just happened tonight while I was trying to get up the courage to go to the gym. Literally, I was about to put my shoes on and head out when the monitor went off. I called it in and it made a terrible noise while transmitting (it's gone off before on its own without sounding quite as screechy). The Cardionet folks, being the professionals that they are, won't tell me anything except ask my doctor. Ok, well, I go for the shoes again about 10 minutes later because I feel fine and am determined to go work out as long as I have the monitor and beeeep--there it goes again! I sort of feel like something's telling me don't go but then again, could that be my fear? It's just so strange to me that after a stressful day with no activity from the monitor, it goes off when I'm doing something as normal as walking down my hallway...2X in a row.

Background info-- I have had recorded NSVT and PVCs to go along with a full healthy check up by the cardiologist. He says my heart is structurally normal and not to worry. Yet, he has me taking 180 mg of Verapamil (Calcium channel blocker) once per day. The heart monitor I'm currently wearing is to show if I have anymore VT, which mostly comes on during exercise.

Has anyone else ever worn a Cardionet monitor with the blue Record button on the front and have it go off at random like I've described? I would welcome any response here because I just don't know what to do and I feel like my life's on hold. I know this may sound so dumb but I decided not to go to the gym after all and am sitting here so discouraged as I thought the meds were working... I just want to be well again. Thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate this forum so much!
I thought that just meant a lead came loose or it lost communication with the cell phone piece.  If cardionet was seeing something serious they would call you or your doctor right away.    Did you ask cardionet what the beep meant?
I don't recall if the brand I wore was Cardionet or something else, but as my  home was not within an provider cell I had to communicate via dial-up modem.  The unit would "go off" anytime (no audible best I can recall - just a display signal) every time anything changed, like I walked up a hill (a real event) to I took it off to take a shower, a non-heart event.  

I think I had a telephone call a couple of times because one or more of my three sensors came "unglued".  Or if I didn't go dial-up a couple of times a day.
Hi, many thanks for the response-- I had thought about that too, and no, unfortunately, the lead wasn't loose (i checked it right away). The monitor actually recorded an event both times. But you're right, the doc probably would've called me if there was something serious, and well, I'm still alive this morning! ;) Very grateful for that indeed.
Hi Jerry and thanks for writing back! Sounds like you had a really good monitor. Mine only has 2 sensors and no display--it goes off occasionally on its own like how you described, for me it's when i'm bending down usually, but don't seem to actually pick up readings. In other words, I'll just get a beep. These two yesterday were actual events recorded by the monitor...a beep followed by silence and then a ringing to indicate it had recorded. Guess i'll just have to wait and see if the doc calls me. If he hasn't already, I doubt it was serious. Still would like to know what it was tho since they told me i have sinus arrhythmia, PVCs and sometimes VT. They really only seem concerned about the VT but i'm one of those peeps who wants to know exactly what's going on with my body. A heart monitor can be reassuring at times but also can drive a person nuts sometimes with the readings and beeps without explanation. When I ask questions, all i get are smiles and more reassurances not to worry.
I've worn a cardionet monitor but it was a three lead device with the blue button on the monitor not the sensor. Mine never made any noise other than when starting up or when it was out of cell range. I don't think it ever caught anything while I had it. I hated wearing the thing as it was huge and almost impossible to disguise or hide beneath my clothing when wearing it. I gotta give you a lot of credit for attempting to go to the gym while wearing it. Sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do for you so maybe you should just carry on as normal and try not worry too much.
I agree with you on all fronts--it is a pain and annoying, too. Try sleeping with the thing or participating in any uh, recreational activities... always in the way! But, well, my time with it is almost up and it does serve a good purpose. The doctor never called about yesterday's two random events and I still feel fine/am here so it's off to attempt some exercise again when I get off work today.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it! :)
I am presently using a Cardionet Monitor the model is- "Dual Alert AFIB" (as noted on its back) and I just discussed with their representive similar questions and here was her response;

1.  Does the monitor record all the time?
A- It is always watching to see if anything noteworthy takes place.  When that happens it will automatically record the event

2.  What is the beeping sound I hear about every 30 minutes?  
A- That is to let you know that there is a recording on the monitor and the beep reminds you to call it in.      

3.  The monitor is beeping every few seconds.  Why?
A- The monitor holds 6 recordings, constant beeping means it is full.  Call in and clear.

Initially I was of the understanding that it did NOT record unless I pressed the blue record button, therefore I was taking it off at night for more comfort but now I know it will record if it senses something a little off the norm.  Nice to know.

Hope this helps.  KP
I am currently warring a 2 lead cardionet monitor and it beeped 4 times in a row like a little jingle. Could I have accidentally hit a button? What does this beep mean?
Q - Does the Monitor Record all the time?

A - No.  It uses something called time sampling.  Every 15 minutes it gathers 30 seconds of data and sends to the smart phone.  The 30 seconds would be analyzed by the Smart Phone for heart rates and heart rate changes.  If ECG of interest was detected, it is sent to the service center. It repeats this for the next 15 minutes.  
THANK you -- you've answered all my questions for this same device, And I,, too, had been told it required me to press 'record' to document an event! Be still, my beating heart ;-)
It means your unit is full, and it's time to call it in.