31 wks pregnant with pvc-bigeminy on sotalol need help now
I'm 25 yrs old and 31 weeks pregnant with my second child, i have been diagnosed with PVC's with bigeminy when i was roughly 3 months pregnant and put on 240mg of sotalol per day because i have fainting spells and dizzy spells constantly. the sotalol worked well at first but as i progress i have more and more fainting spells. the cardiologist does not want to up the dose and feels there are no other drugs that are safe to use during pregnancy and i agree. however, my high risk OB feels we should try another drug or up the dose of sotalol. my cardiologist also feels it would be safe to take me off the sotalol completely before i deliver so i may breastfeed...my OB doesn't want me off at all even after the baby is born even though i never really had issues with pvc before i got pregnant...the baby is in the 14th percentile over all with her head, legs and arms being around the 30th percentile but her abdomen is only in the 7th percentile and this worries me greatly...my ob has started weekly fetal heart monitoring (non stress tests) and monthly ultrasounds to evaluate growth. there has been talk of me coming in a couple of days a week for monitoring. as far as labor and delivery is concerned they want to induce me after 39wks but before 40wks i will be on a telemetry monitor the whole delivery and they want me to have an epidural as early as possible to prevent any stress to my heart...they've also said they can use metoprolol and esmelol during labor in case i have any "episodes"....with that said i'm very scared i don't know what to think about all of this can someone please help me understand why all of this is happening and tell me what i should expect labor and delivery wise to help clear up my concerns...i also lost part of my mucus plug today without any bloody show with some pressure and cramping in my pelvic region yet they do not seem concerned.....help help help help help
Sorry you haven't gotten any input from members who have direct experience with being pregnant and having PVC problems. My memory is there have been a few past discussion in that area. Have you done a search for key words MedHelp? This will also look on other communities, such as those dealing more with childbirth and being pregnant.
I will say I am surprised that the OB doesn't take the cardiologist's recommendations on you situation, if I understand your post correctly. I am not trying to take sides (vote), just my open minded reaction.
Have you discussed with your OB any experience he/she has with sotalol?
Hope you find th best answer supported by your doctors, some how getting an agreement between them would seem best. Has you OB consulted directly with you cardiologist?
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.