Heart Rhythm Community
7yr old with pvcs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

7yr old with pvcs

Hi all. My little girl has been monitored for her pvcs since she was 3. At that time, her first holter monitor showed 27,000 in the 24 hr period. Since then, they have consistently increased. She is now 7, and her most recent holter showed over 51,000 which they said was well over a third of her overall beats. Her echocardiograms have always been clear, and she doesn't show any physical symptoms. I am wondering if you who have had these for years have input, do you think she is feeling them, but since she has had them from such a young age she doesn't know anything different? She is a vibrant little girl, but I worry about the strain on her heart later on in life. We certainly don't resrict her activities or anything (except restricting caffeine, but we do that for our other children as well), and never make a big deal out of it in front of her, but I just can't help but worry that it may be a bigger deal than what they lead us to believe... Any input? Thanks in advance
Oops, forgot an important piece! This last holter also showed more being coupled and tripled. Not a lot, but I know that is one of the things that they had been watching for, and was enough of a concern to up her echos and holters to every six months (instead of once a year). I trust her doctors, but they are just so laid back and sometimes it feels like they just don't want me to  freak out. I just want to know the truth of what dangers there are...
I do not have that number of skips in a day but have a friend who does. The far of such a high number of PVCs over a long time is PVC induced cardiomyopathy. I am sure this is why they want to monitor your little girl as well to make sure she does not show signs of this.

There are many people who live with this many skips and do not even feel them. Then you get people who have only a handful a day and feel everyone. She may feel them but they do not bother her since she is used to them. They are her normal.

Do you see an EP?   Have they ever mentioned trying albation? It can be successful for PVCs (though not always depending on their location within the heart). They maybe something you want to ask them about.

There are also other members on here who have lived with skips all their lives and are healthy and strong. I am sure they will respond as well :)
The *fear*
Thanks for the response. What is an EP? She has seen several cardiologists at seattles Childrens hospital. They have never mentioned albation. I haven't really been able to get a "plan" out of them, but it helps to know what the worst case is. They just keep saying "as long as she shows no physical symptoms, we just monitor it" but of course, I am a Mom, so I am thinking But what happens if I miss the physical symptoms! I have been reading over the forums on similar questions, crazy how much some are effected and others not at all. I'm understanding a bit more why there are so few answers for me from her doctors...
An EP is an Electrophysiologist Cardiologist who specializes in the electrical workings of the heart.  I had an svt my whole life and never really thought twice about it so it is good your daughter is a bit oblivious to what is going on but you do need to keep an eye on things because she is carrying a high load of ectopics.  I believe 20% is the threshold however they also do base concern on the health of the heart.  Your daughter being young her heart rate is a bit faster than adults so the amount she is having may come down with her heart rate lowering as she ages but 30% is past the known limit.  That said, I have heard of people living with them in crazy high amounts and never having issues so it is important for her to maintain a heart healthy lifestyle.  As well you may want to broach trying an ablation when she gets a bit older but I may see how she ages and see if they settle down for her with the growth of her heart.  I will say I doubt the cardiologists would hold anything back from you.  From their perspective the heart is a very resilient muscle that can handle a lot so they do not get worked up about things like us normal people who don't deal with it everyday do. The fact that they are checking on your daughter every 6 months indicates to me that they are taking it serious.  I had and svt ablated a year and a half ago and I still have pacs/pvcs and the cardiologist pretty much told me to have a good life so your daughter is being looked after.  So I would say just read up on ectopic beats as much as you can so you are prepared and knowledgeable on what is going on with your daughter.  I send good thoughts your way that she continues to stay heart healthy despite the ectopic beats.  hang in there and we are always here if you need to talk.