Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
8 year old resting heart rate

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

8 year old resting heart rate

Hello.  I have a question regarding my son.  His resting heart rate ranges from 51-64 bpm.  From everything that I have read, this is abnormally low for a child his age.  I brought this to his PCM's attention, and she did not seem worried about it.  I however, am.  I have a family history of heart ailments to include me oldest daughter.  She had a ASD repaired at age 3.  My father died of a heart attack at age 46, and his siblings have all had bypass surgeries.

My son is otherwise healthy, and happy.  I have noticed howeverl that in the last 6 months or so, he is also taking deep breaths every few seconds.  Again, his PCM said that this is normal for children.

Could I please get your take on this.
I don't treat children -- the youngest I will usually see is 16 to 17 when they are adult sized.  That being said,  the average heart rate for a 9 year old is between 85-95 bpm.  It sounds like  your son is on the slower side but that does not always mean that there is something wrong.

I cannot tell you if that is normal for  your child -- that is better left between  you and  your doctor.  If you are really concerned, ask your doctor for a consult or ask your doctor to call a pediatric cardiologist to find out what the normal heart rates rare.  We often will do curb side (phone call) consults to answer a quick question to help triage whether something needs further investigation.

I hope this helps.