Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
8 year old resting heart rate
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

8 year old resting heart rate

Hello.  I have a question regarding my son.  His resting heart rate ranges from 51-64 bpm.  From everything that I have read, this is abnormally low for a child his age.  I brought this to his PCM's attention, and she did not seem worried about it.  I however, am.  I have a family history of heart ailments to include me oldest daughter.  She had a ASD repaired at age 3.  My father died of a heart attack at age 46, and his siblings have all had bypass surgeries.

My son is otherwise healthy, and happy.  I have noticed howeverl that in the last 6 months or so, he is also taking deep breaths every few seconds.  Again, his PCM said that this is normal for children.

Could I please get your take on this.
Related Discussions
230125 tn?1193369457
I don't treat children -- the youngest I will usually see is 16 to 17 when they are adult sized.  That being said,  the average heart rate for a 9 year old is between 85-95 bpm.  It sounds like  your son is on the slower side but that does not always mean that there is something wrong.

I cannot tell you if that is normal for  your child -- that is better left between  you and  your doctor.  If you are really concerned, ask your doctor for a consult or ask your doctor to call a pediatric cardiologist to find out what the normal heart rates rare.  We often will do curb side (phone call) consults to answer a quick question to help triage whether something needs further investigation.

I hope this helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank