A-FIB
I just found out that I have A-Fib.  I went for a regular checkup and the doctor had me get an EKG.  At 73, I was very much surprised to learn I have A-Fib.   I had many EKG’s and they were always okay.  I never smoked or drank, and I eat all the right foods.  I also exercise every day. My blood work up is always great.   I never get chest pains or anything that would make me think of a heart problem.  I always have a lot of energy. But, for the last three months or so I drank a lot of soda with caffeine.  I just do not know why or how I got this A-Fib.  The question is what do I do now.  I had a Stress test with images.  The stress and images of my heart before and after were all normal.  I far surpassed my age group with this stress test as the doctor stated in his report.   I also had an Echocardiogram.  That also was normal.   I went to two different heart doctors.  One doctor told me to do nothing at all about it and just stay on aspirin, which I have been on for many years.  I have been taking aspirin for 40 years.  My dad told me it was good for my health.  The doctor said this may go away, but if it does not, when I hit 75 years of age I will have to be put on another blood thinner.  The other doctor wanted to give me an electrical cardioversion.  I read about this cardioversion and it was not all that good.  Its success rate is less than 50%.   What do I do?  When I check my pulse, I do feel that it is off sometimes.  But that’s no big deal.  I do not have any of the symptoms like skipped heartbeats, thud, racing, or erratic heartbeat.  I have nothing that is scary at all.   My blood pressure is always very good and my pulse is always 68 to 95.  Ninety-five is after working out.  So, what do I do?   Jack
Wow. I dont know anything about Afib other than to say it seems like several of my friends that are in their late 60s/early 70s have it. None have had surgery for it. One guy is on a blood thinner. I am sure someone on here will have some answers for you soon. You sound like you are in fantastic shape. Def. stay on the asperin though since your doc told you to. :)
Hi Jack i read your post too...its pretty common when we get older that atrial fib has a possiblity of popping up so rest assured you are not experiencing anything that many people do in your age group.  Try to understand that atrial fib is electrical based and its no doubt nothing that you did to cause it.....it simply a misfiring of the hearts electrical system and believe it or not lots and lots of people out there have atrial fib and don't even know it.  I think docs are more apt now not to used electrical conversion unless it becomes a situation where your heart is stubborn and won't kick itself out of it. Sometimes docs give us medicine as an intervention to knock it out and its pretty successful and i understand completely your worry about this...been there done that...had the electrical conversion and the meds conversion and i'll take the meds any day of the week over the electrical.  When your doc says that the cardioversion is less than fifty percent successful he/she may just be saying that long term that is the percentage meaning that it can pop up again.  Many times a doc will prescribe a beta blocker of some sort to take the edge off of the atrial fib.  My doc put me on antenolol which worked out great for me until i progressed to the point that i opted for an ablation.  Taking the aspirin a day is a great way to ward off the possiblities of tossing a clot and studies have shown that its good for us long term for healthier hearts.  As far as what to do that is totally up to your and your doc to come up with a treatment plan that works for you both but i would definately toss out the question of a low dose beta blocker to see if you are a candidate.  I have never really heard of atrial fib just going away on its own when someone has had it for awhile.  Usually some sort of intervention is needed.  Hope i was helpful Jack.
Thanks for your information.  It was very helpful.  Jack
here is a web site you might be interested in - http://www.stopafib.org/