Heart Rhythm Community
A-Fib

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

A-Fib

Hi, This is my first post. I  was in the hospital for 6 days last week with A-Fib. I was sent home and had not converted yet. Doctor gave me Rythmol  225  three X day,cardizem 240 , digoxin 0.125, diavon 80/12.5
Wafarin 2 mg,
Still in A-Fib .... Heart Rate....127...117...100...66....80...130
I also am on Synthroid 50mcg , effexor 150,  tricor and zocor.

The doctor is talking about ablation

I guess my question is Since I'm still in A-Fib and don't have an appointment until March
"How long should I be in constant A-fib without calling him back for a closer appointment?"
You appear to be on all the "usual" medications and with that your are not at significant risk of complications from AFib.  The greatest worry, minimized to low levels by the Warfarin (if it gets you INR int the 2-3 range), is clot formation.  AFib is generally not considered life threatening and if your symptoms are not serious there's not strong reason to hurry up your appointment.   You may convert from the medications, so you need to give that some time.

I would ask about trying an electro cardioversion.  This is a "same day" or "out patient" procedure and is very low risk.  It has worked form me over the years, but as I am now in AFib the fix was temporary.  I had other problems that helped push me back into AFib.

My doctor doesn't recommend ablation for AFib unless the patient suffers serious debilitating symptoms from AFib.  I don't .  My doctors (more than one) have both counseled me that my life expectancy is not improved by getting me out of AFib, or said another way, AFib is not a major limiter on my life expectancy, so it is jine for me to "just live with it".  

I think much depends on one's age.  I'm a senior.  If I was 24 years old and possibly living for another 60 years I would most likely seek more aggressive treatment.  It was my good fortune not to suffer from AFib until I was about 60.
Thanks Jerry,
While I'm in A-Fib I can't do very much. I get lightheaded and my heart races faster if I move around too much.  I hope the doctor will do the Ablation. I have had about 15 attacks and this is the first time I haven't converted back.
It is scary
Sorry it is so rough on you.

Hang "in there", I'm sure you'll be just fine.  And, given the serious impact AFib has on your life I think it is reasonable to seek treatment sooner if possible.
Hi, I have extreme afib where it has lasted days on end and then I'm in bed for days trying to recover from the marathon.  I've had a few ablation surgeries, the first 6 years ago and after a period it did decrease the number and length of episodes (which were basically all day); over the last year they came back ten-fold and I just had another ablation and half my heart needed to be ablated.  The only pill that has helped with a more immediate conversion was flecanide so maybe check on that, I only used it to try and help quickly convert; otherwise, there does not seem much that they can do for me.  I also concur with the other fellow that said if you are in symptoms all day make sure to get your PT/INR regularly because afib is a big cause of clotting and only 2mgs of coumadin seems like a minor dose, I'm on 7.5 - 10mgs a day depending on my weekly blood work outcome.  Hope this helps.  Shawn
Docshawn,
Thanks for your reply, I had my INR checked Thursday.. They said it was 2........Does that sound right? I don't know what the levels are suppose to be
Again thanks
I think they like it between 2.0 - 3.0 or 2.5 - 3.5 depending on what you have.  But having been a bad patient at one time I realize the risks, I got really tired of going in every week and them telling me to change my dose - I could never get in the range and stay there (there are books that can help with foods - Coumadin Guide) but I was very lucky as before my first surgery they found pooled blood in my left artria which was probably caused by my blood not being thin enough.  Shawn
Yes, 2 is alright for most (all?) AFib.  That puts you on the low end, but still fine I think.  The range of 2 - 3 (3 being thinner) is most common for AFib, 2.5 - 3.5 may be the range for mechanical heart valves and other more problematic cases.  

As you doctor, but I think 2-3 is your range.
I forgot to mention ...I have Mitral Valve Prolapse also . Would this be a problem during Ablation?
Thanks for all the replies....It really helps
I called today and told the doctor's office I was still in A-Fib so they are going to work me in next Tues. I'm glad because this is driving me crazy............It's been 13 days now
Your doctor knows about the Prolapse, but I think it is unrelated to the ablation procedure.
Well I'm still in A-Fib ....21 days and counting.
I went in today for a cardio conversion but they couldn't do because my blood was too thick   1.5
They told me to double the dose of Warfarin And go back Monday for check.
I am so tired

Ma63
I am so tired

Ma63
First time on this list. My dad who is 80 has been having afib related to acid reflux for a year or two now, sometimes landing him in the hospital because his heart rate soars and won't abate. He is in the hospital again as I write this, having had a heart rate of 130 two days ago and being told to get to ER (had to drag him away from his beloved golf course!) because this could lead to heart failure. Talked to him last night and he said they are putting him on Coumadin. Had him on Cardizem yesterday all day and his heart rate still would not go down (they like to see it under 100 before discharging him). I know he will be eager to discuss this with others going through it once he gets home so I will direct him to this discussion board.

As a social worker who has been in healthcare and hospice for many years, I know that heart issues very much correlate with anxiety and depression so, when you are having a particularly trying day, try to normalize these feelings to yourself and not add to your worry by obsessing too much (easy for me to say, I know). Most hospitals have cardiac rehab oriented support groups that might be a good place to visit if you need support as you go through this. Good luck to you all and I will certainly have my Dad join in once he is sent home from the hospital.
Thanks and I hope your Dad is doing better

I have been in the hospital 3 times in the last 7 months.  I've been on coumdin for about 3 months now. I hope to get an ablation sometime
Ma63