Heart Rhythm Community
A-fib

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

A-fib

My husband hard open heart sx a month ago to repair a mitral valve. He tolerated the surgery very well and his recovery has been remarkable,but has had a few episodes of some type of arrythmia and they seem to be increasing. Wondering if Atrial Fibbrilation is the culprit as apparently A-fib can be caused by a heart valve problem. I would think though that if it is A-fib that he would have had symptoms prior to the surgery,not after. Has anyone else experienced this?? I am of course going to contact his cardoilogist but am still curious. Any answer will be greatly appreciated,thank-you.
My experience is a leaky mitral valve can cause enlargement in the left atrium, which greatly increased the risk of AFib.  So, I'd say check on the size of the left atrium too, that can be done with a non-invasive echocardiogram.

I have suffered from AFib for over 10 years and have been held in sinus rhythm for periods up to 18 months following electrocardioversion.  Then in 2007 my cardiologist said my left atrium had enlarged to a point that I needed to discus mitral valve repair with a surgeon. This was done in November of 2007, and while I was in normal sinus rhythm for a month following surgery, I went back into permanent AFib, no need to wear a monitor, but I did, a long term and can say I forget how long, but over two weeks I am sure.  That confirmed I was and am in permanent AFib.

My AFib symptoms are well controlled (resting HR about 80) and I continue to take warfarin to reduce risk of a stroke.  I do reasonably well on warfarin and it seems I will be on it the rest of my life.  My cardiologist and the consulting EP agree it is unlikely that a ablation will improve my condition, so I have not had one.  I have not sought an additional medical opinions.
My husband had open heart surgery in 2009 and  two days after the surgery had several episodes of a fib.  He was put on amiodorone when he was discharged but only took it for a short time.  Thankfully no more episodes.  There are many arrythmias that can be related to problems with heart valves.  They will have to be caught during an EKG or you husband will need to wear a holter monitor to try to figure out what is going on. You need to contact the cardiologist and tell him what's going on.  
There are many causes for a fib, and often no cause can be identified.  The good news is a fib is generally not life threatening unless it goes untreated, and it is very treatable.  The word "cure" is often used for ablation.  I had an ablation four years ago and have had no symptoms since.  
   Certainly communication with a cardiologist is in order.
Thanks for your reply and info. I too have had my share of arrythmias-SVT(ablated in 85) and PVCs(ablated this past July).Still having palps and sob after eating, having a nuclear stress in a few weeks, it just gets old after a while. My husband has had only a few episodes, still not sure if A-fib but have an appt. for him this Tues. with cardiologist-probably will have to wear a holter mon. if can't catch arrythmia in office....or might run to ER if having an episode so they can catch it on EKG-think that would be easier than the holter. I hope and pray that this arrythmia is transient like your husbands was- mine has been through enough and doesn't need any more procedures (like ablation) or having to take coumadin even for a short time as he has already been on Plavix for over a year and is a bleeder naturally without the added "help" of blood thinners! Again, thanks for your help and glad to hear your hubby is doing well!! Tired55
Thank you for answering my question, Know all about ablations as I have had 2, most recently in July after putting up with PVCs for over 2 yrs. Didn't know they could lead to more serious events such as V-fib because had SVT for at least 30 yrs. prior to ablation in 95. I did contact his cardiologist- has an appt. this Tues. Probably will go home with a holter mon. if not having arrythmia at that time. Hopefully this is just transient due to the sx and repair, I pray that it is. CSF56's husband had a-fib after sx but is ok now, that gives me hope!  Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me!!!!   Tired55
Hope you recieved my replies and thanks but computer just cleared page and rrestarted site so have a feeling they did not go through, will try again later.  Thanks again, Tired55

Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply and info. So sorry you are going to have A-fib the rest of your life, I wouldn't want to take Warfarin and hope like crazy that my husband doesn't have to! My husband has an enlarged left ventricle, not atrium; but enlargement is minimal and repair should prevent any more. Seems to be a lot of A-fib ,is it just now being made aware of or  have I just not been paying attention. Know what PVCs sound like and murmurs, but have never ascultated anyone with A-fib, can you describe how it sounds? Thanks, Tired55