Heart Rhythm Community
AFIB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

AFIB

I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve in my early 20's. I am now 32 and more problems are sufacing and I dont know how much to be concerned with. I go yearly to have my valve checked, however, two years ago they also found atrial flutter and atrial fib. I was put on coumadain and underwent ablation for the flutter. Unfortunately, the A Fib stuck around after the flutter was repaired. The Afib got worse and worse, eventually leading to me being put on Amiodarone. I took Amiodarone for six months and felt horrible, so i got a second opinion. The second opinion took me off of the Amiodarone and increased my coumadin, told me to deal with the annoyance. He also did an Echo which revealed, my Aortic and Mitral valves both have small leaks, and the right side of my heart was enlarged. He made me an appt to see about having ablation to fix afib ?? I have many concerns, one is that both my father and grandfather died very young of Cardiomyopathy, am I next? WHO DO I BELIEVE, HOW SERIOUS IS THIS, WILL THE ENLARGEMENT GET WORSE, WHAT CAUSED ALL THIS, IM ONLY 32 !  
To:

I don't have any answers for you, but I read your post when you first listed it too.  I don't want you to feel alone, or as though we are ignoring you.

If you have gone to your doctor, and have been open about your family history then you can trust me that they are looking at your test results VERY seriously.  Small leaks in your valves are not uncommon, and are not usually harmful, but are often watched over time to make sure that they do not worsen.  As for the Afib and other palps, I am sympathetic.  We've all been told to relax, these things will not kill us..blah, blah, blah...but when it is HAPPENING to you, it is scarry as he!!

I don't know what to tell you regarding the enlargement, and as for why is it happening to you at this age..........ah...if we all had 25 cents for that question!!!  There are many theories and many discussions on this board, and it seems to boil down to individuals, their bodies, and the myriad of different variables that MIGHT lead to these symptoms.  In other words....we don't know.

If you don't find your doctor to have a very good bedside manner, then I suggest continuing the search for one who will try to explain the answers to your concerns clearly and concisely.  And, when you find that doctor, stick with him/her no matter what!!!  And for now...you may want to post your questions to one of the forum M.D.'s.   They can tell you exactly what questions to ask in order to make the best of your next appointment.

Good health to you.