Heart Rhythm Community
AFib, Sleep Apnea and Alcohol....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

AFib, Sleep Apnea and Alcohol....

I've gone into Afib 3 times in my life with the first episode being about 3.5 years ago.  Everytime I've gone to the hospital and was converted to sinus rhythm the next day or so with meds.

At first I was put on Toprol and aspirin but then last winter I was switched to Rhythmol.

The doctors said to avoid caffeine and alcohol which I did for the most part.  They also said my Afib might be casued by sleep apnea.  They wanted me to go in for testing which I still need to schedule.

I've never been a big drinker and I never had a double death by chocolate the day before my afib began.  Looking back at my situation, the afib seems to occur upon waking.

First episode - I was in afib for a few days but put off going to the hospital because of lack of insurance.  I didn't even KNOW what afib was and that I had it,.  All I knew was that I had trouble breathing.  I finally went in and got it resolved.

Second episode - I was at work and started to feel a little weird.  This was about 2 hours after waking up.  Went to the hospital right away and was back in afib.

Third episode - I came home from work and was lying on my back on the couch.  I woke up to hit the bathroom and was VERY dizzy and lightheaded when I stood up.  Went to the hospital right away cause I was back in afib.

I usually sleep on my side or stomach but there were times I would sleep on my back.  My wife said my snoring was bad but every since I STOPPED sleeping on my back my snooring has vanished she says.  She said when I was snooring there were times she thought I wasn't breathing because she couldn't hear me.  Again, no problem since I stopped sleeping on my back.

I can't say whether or not episodes one and two were because of sleeping my my back, but episode two defenately seemed to happen a little while after waking.  I can't say when or where episode one happened at all.

Anyway, I'm still taking rhythmol 125 3X a day and an aspirin a day.  

If my afib is brought upon my sleep apnea/snooring, then is it OK to have a normal life with caffeine and alcohol?  I've had a few drinks and caffeine in the past month and have had no issues at all.  I'd say I've probably taken cafeine and alcohol just like a "normal" person would and still no reoccurrance of afib for me.
I am in permanent AFib, but relatively symptom free.  I use Metoprolol to control my HR and warfarin and aspirin for clot prevention.  

No alcohol is the standard recommendation, and no caffeine.  As I am in permanent AFib, what I do may have not relationship to your question, but I can say my actions don't my my AFib symptoms worse.

I will have one drink, glass of wine, can of beer, a day on many occasions.  I will drink have two, maximum three such drinks if I'm in a social environment that lasts for 4 or 5 hours and includes a meal.  I do not binge drink.

I drink decaf coffee, just as good for regular coffee, and I usually have a cup of black tea per day.  I will also eat chocolate from time-to-time.  

I have had periods of normal sinus rhythm over the past decade, and was also taking propafenon (rhythmol) at those times, and had a few drinks then too.