Heart Rhythm Community
ASD/PFO Post surgery

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

ASD/PFO Post surgery

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I am hoping someone here can help me out with some info.
When I was 16 (I am 20 now) I found out I had an ASD/PFO (Small hole between the upper two chambers of my heart) I went in for the first time in 3 years to my cardiologist yesterday and had a bubble study done and an echo. The tests revealed that the shunt I had put in did not cover the hole and that there is a leak in the valve.
I have not actually spoken to the cardiologist yet, and I won't be able to until mid July.
I have never heard of someones ASD or PFO oclosure "failing" or not being done properly so i have no idea what to expect about my future or how this will be fixed..
Will it be as simple as taking blood thinners for my whole life to prevent TIA's and strokes? Or will I need another surgery?
Any guesses, info, or support is very helpful! I know this is a minor medical problem that I have, but I need to know what I could possibly be looking at in the future. Thank you!
I should also mention that I have had some symptoms recently of TIA's as well as heart palpitations. Not sure what to think of all of this.