Heart Rhythm Community
Ablation and Pacemaker Question for Medical Opinion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I had an ablation performed several days ago for tachycardia.  I was informed that there could be a chance that I'd have to have a pacemaker inserted which was inserted.  I am now on the 3rd day of my recuperation and I've had several episodes of tachycardia.  I am taking Multaq and Cardizem BID and Cardizem PRN.  My question is: Is this a norm?  The ablation was anticipated, the pacemaker was not and the fact that I show no improvement is really very frustrating. The doctor also said that the pacemaker will be able to locate where the tachy is coming from since it may be in a more precarious location. Can a pacemaker be removed if ablation clears my problem??
If there is a cardiologist on-line who can just give me an opinion...I would be most  appreciative.  
Thanks.
I think your question got put into the members community because the expert forum is full :(

Sorry for the problem and having to have a PM implanted, I had an ablation for pvc's & vt also and had a pm/icd implanted.   Is yours a pacemaker/icd or just a pacemaker?

I know with my case a pm is for bradycardia and my icd is for VT and will slow my heart down and will shock my heart if any dangerous vt occurs.

pm's can be removed; I have heard of them removing them for various reasons - but your body may need time to heal after what it's been through

good luck and hopefully someone with medical knowledge will respond
If you go to *****.com there is a heart forum there and the doctor seems to answer questions every day. Not sure if there's a limit or what but he might have a thought or two about this. At the site there's a box to the right with all the topics. Scroll down to cardio or heart, whatever it is. Then under the doctor's photo click on "my forum." That will take you there.

There are other heart forums out there you might try. Not that they all have doctors but someone may have gone through a similar experience and may be able to help.
It's hard to give you a lot of information without knowing more about your ablation and what procedure they did, and what kind of pacemaker you have and how it's set.  Here is some general information for you.

FIrst of all, I'm going to assume you had an atrial tachycardia and your ablation was in the atria.  Since you didn't specify that it was a fib, I'll assume it was probably an ablation in the right atrium.  The area we burn in is very close to the AV node.  If, during burning, we happen to hit the AV node, we can permanently kill it, immediately sending you into complete heart block.  In some situations, we purposely burn the AV node to prevent it form conducting the bad signals in the atrium.  This prevents the electrical impulse in the atrium from reaching the ventricle.  In either case, we have to put in a pacemaker to get the electrical impulse into the bottom chambers (ventricles).  If your pacemaker was placed because of damage to the AV node, your pacemaker is permanent.  Without it, you would have no conduction to the ventricles, meaning you would most likely have a pulse in the 20s or 30s without the pacer.  Chances are, if they put a pacer in during your ablation, and it wasn't planned before, it's probably going to be there for life.

As for the recurring tachycardia, this is very normal after an ablation.  Ablations work because scar tissue does nto conduct electricity well.  Your scars are still forming for a week or two, so seeing some lingering rhythms for a few weeks is very normal.  Hope that helps to answer some questions for you.
Just a couple of added words here...i think that this may be important to you...in most cases the docs no longer "burn" w. ablations they use Cryo or freezing to avoid a build up of scar tissue....burning is no longer the norm in the procedure.....in having an ablation a couple of years ago circusflea the ablations are done on any part of the heart...to the left to the right, lower..upper....behind....and most docs definately know to stay clear of the sinus or AV node because that is the no fly zone for the heart..  Only you know how the ablation was performed and the whole idea behind an ablation is to re route the electrical pathways back into a normal pattern and scar tissue is an effect from using the old way of burning the pathways not the norm..that is why cryo or RF's are now used instead of cauterization.....i am unsure of why you had a pacemaker inserted but generally it is when people suffer from bradycardia which the EP lab doc may have spotted when generating the arrthymia not necessarily that they went into the no fly zone......millions of people live full and healthy lives w. pacemakers that are inserted they are just an assist to assure that your heart keeps a normal healthy pulse rate....good luck circusflea
Cindy when did they start with RF's & Cryo? Is it more effective? when I had mine done last year it was cauterization but I've been reading about cryo... can you pm me anything on that? I know I have to have another one when I go back to the EP...I'm so not looking forward to that.

I had my RF ablation on 8/26/09 but the PM/ICD didnt  get implanted until 8/28/2009 and with mine no node damage that I know of, but mine was suspect for ARVD.  I wish I could go without this stinking thing it's been nothing but problems.