Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Abnormal EKG Reading - Confused

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Abnormal EKG Reading - Confused

I had an abnormal EKG reading that I do not understand:  I am 27 years old, never had health concerns, although I do have a chest cavity, and both of my father's brothers have had heart attacks (not my dad though).

Rate 45
PR 145
QRSD 97
QT 416
QTe 368

V4, V5, V6 all peak off the charts compared to the other areas.  Text says possible RSR in V1 and V2, probably left ventricular hypertrophy, inferior infarct, possibly acute, and borderline st elevation, anterior leads.  Huh?  I thought maybe with the chest cavity (it's on the order of 2" indentation) might have thrown the chart off....

The question is sort of critical as I am going to be riding in a charity ride this weekend, and my appointment with the cardiologist is monday.  The ride is 180 miles, should I sit it out, or push forward?  I've been training with no problems.  Wife is a little concerned though....
I can't really give that sort of advice over the internet.
I can tell you that 12 lead EKG "interpretations" are notorious for over calling things.  They are meant as a guide, but the more complicated the EKG, the more often they are very wrong.
If there is any doubt, sit out the bike ride.

I hope this helps.
I have pectus excavatum and all my ecgs have printed out normal, though a pectus excavatum can sometime cause a reading of LVH(left ventricular hypertrophy) my guess and my guess only is that is closer to chest wall, the best thing to do is get an echo and chest xray, if a pectus ecavatum doesn't  significantly impair lung or heart movement I'm told it is best left alone, overall pectus excavatum from my understanding has no impact on mortality. Both my sons have pectus, mine has gotten better with age it was moderate to severe when in my teens and early 20s now its basically mild, I also notice a slight improvement in my oldest son who just turned 22 today.