Heart Rhythm Community
Abnormal EKG

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Abnormal EKG

My husband has be in and out of the hospital since July after he started getting massive headaches with dizziness, tingling in his hands/feet, off balance, and more.  He had brain surgery 8/1/2012 so when this all started in July again, we naturally went to neuro, but they can't figure it out.  This week, he was in the hospital after some "seizure like" spells and passing out in the last 3 months.  He had one "event" of losing consciousness, but the EEGs were all ok and no signs of epilepsy which is good.  They don't really know what is causing these spells.  

His EKG upon admission was abnormal - indicates left axis deviation, incomplete right branch bundle block, abnormal t waves, and low voltage qrs.  The neuro team feels it's not related, but I work in healthcare and know that those things are all electrical and could possibly be the culprit of all that's been going on, and it's not the brain at all.  He had a stress test done about 6 weeks ago that was fairly normal stating only  grade 1/4 left ventricular diastolic dysfunction, consistent with low to normal left ventricular filling pressure and Left ventricular end systolic volume decreased with stress.

We asked for a cardiology consult (he came home yesterday) and I'm hoping to get that setup this week.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on it all or if we're wasting our time with cardiology?
You are not wasting your time. The ekg is abnormal, and a diagnosis is in order for that.

Now, When you say the neuro team feels "its unrelated", what exactly do you mean I wonder?  1. The cardio diagnostics are unrelated to the surgery and the problems that were being addressed by the surgery, or 2. The cardio results are unrelated to the more recent episodes of syncope?

Because i can see how they might come to conclusion 1, but I do not see how they can conclude 2 unless they have something specific to establish the truth of 2. You might inquire as to what is behind this,  but I still think the cardio input is a good idea.

Also, I have to say it must be nice to have the support of a family member in the health care business. Be sure you are getting enough medical help for doing the job of  quarterback though. If this problem gets complicated,  you are probably going to appreciate having some good "systems" help. Also, I am no expert in this, but feel like the management and diagnosis of syncope, especially in a case like this,  might be a known problem area and deserves some special attention.
They feel it's unrelated to his recent issues of dizziness, headaches, blacking out, etc.  I just can't see how an abnormal EKG couldn't be at least considered.  Have you seen those kinds of findings on EKG be nothing?

I do feel like the quarter back a lot!  Healthcare has gotten so crazy that you have to constantly advocate for yourselves and push for answers.  
I would assume what they mean is the abnormalities that they see would not necessarily lead to one falling into a dangerous rhythm but that does not mean that a dangerous rhythm isn't occurring.  But the deviation and partial block likely do not lead to something like vt that would could cause syncope if it sustains. Or the neuro team was highlighting that this isn't brain related and needs to be investigated elsewhere.  He really needs to see a cardio and if I were you when you see the cardio I would push for an event monitor to try and catch the episode when it happens.  My concern with the passing out is that it could be ventricular tachycardia and I would insist on this being investigated and ruled out.  Passing out is nothing to brush away.  Until he gets to the bottom of this make sure he drinks lots of water.  Best of luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.  He is lucky to have you advocating for him.
zodiacqueen commented on photo
Piparskeggr uploaded new photos
christopher007 commented on photo
May 25