Heart Rhythm Community
Abnormal heart rhythm when resting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Abnormal heart rhythm when resting

Hi! I am 27 year old male. In good health, no prior history of any medical problems, normal height/weight. Couple weeks ago I started noticing that when I lay down and I am on my side (either side) sometimes I feel an extra beat in my heart (i don't feel my heart beating other than once in a while all of a sudden i feel a heart beat that seems to be "out of place". Usually if I turn and lay on my back it goes away. I don't feel anything throughout the day; it happens at night when I go to bed, and sometimes when I wake up in the morning.
I do have a pretty stressful job so I am not sure if this is a contributing factor.
Any ways I can try to minimize it naturally before going to a doctor and starting some kind of medication?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You obviously won't know for certain unless it gets captured on a monitor but it sounds like you are having some sort of ectopic beats, pacs or pvcs.  If you are not having any troubling symptoms with your odd feelings like passing out or severe chest pain then you likely have nothing to worry about and unless these extra beats are making you feel uncomfortable I would not advise taking meds for them unless there is some sort of an underlying bp issue.  So I would suggest getting a check up and mentioning to your doctor what you are feeling but in general these beats are very benign and not at all a threat to your health so likely you will be given a pretty clean bill of health but you really do need a doctor to sign off on that.  I would say though just also get all your electrolytes checked to make sure you aren't deficient on anything which can create problems as well work on your stress but other than that you are likely fine.  Take care.