Heart Rhythm Community
Absent P wave.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Absent P wave.

Hi.

I have been experiencing worsening arrythmia for the last two weeks in that I am having palps on standing and walking around. They generally resolve when I am sitting down. Called the paramedic this am because having a really bad run and the strip showed an absent P wave every 3/4/2 beats. He thought it might be masked under the Q part, and obviously I am back off to my GP this afternoon. These things feel dangerous, are they ? Does anyone know about this at all ? I have two weeks to wait for my cardio appointment, I get breathless and light-headed when these come. I am afraid, really afraid. Can someone help at all.

Thank you.   Julie.
Hi Julie...

Sorry to hear of your worsening arrhythmia. When the P wave is absent or is difficult to see, there are a few possibilities to explain this.

Absent P waves are typically seen in people with SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) more specifically AV nodal reentrant tachycardia. It is often seen in patients who are in Atrial Fibrillation as well. It can also be seen in people who have severe hyperkalemia (high serum potassium levels).

If it is AVNRT type SVT, this is not a life threatening arrhythmia. Atrial Fib is also not a life threatening type of arrhythmia by itself but the risks those with it encounter is that of blood clots that can lead to stroke. So it is critical that people with Afib be treated with anticoagulant medication. As for hyperkalemia, this can be life threatening if it is extremely high and needs to be treated promptly.

Please let us know how you make out with your Dr's appt. this afternoon:)
As Book says, AFib can hide (or suppress) the p-wave.  I recall many comments on my ekg absent the p-wave missing.  I have "chronic" AFib.

If you can tolerate aspirin and are not on an anticoagulant ...and if you do not have stomach problems with aspirin, I suggest taking a half or a baby aspirin a day until you can get the subject of AFib cleared up with your cardiologist.

Good luck.