Heart Rhythm Community
Adderall and mitral valve prolaps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Adderall and mitral valve prolaps

I am a 58 yr. old who was recently dx. with ADHD.  It should be noted here that  I have a hx. of anxiety problems and depression.  I have been on 75 mg. effexor for sometime now, and Ativan PRN for anxiety.  I also have mild mitral valve prolapse which was dx. prob. 25 years ago, not taking anything for that but go yearly for echo, and have occasional stress tests.  For the ADHD I have been prescribed Adderall (adderrall) XR 15 mg. once daily thus far.  The problem I am having is the Adderall (adderrall) seems to be giving me chest tightness, much like I feel when I have anxiety symptoms. It seems to radiate in my shoulders and and arms and back as well...however I think with the anxiety my chest always felt that same way.  One thing I have noticed is when the Adderall (adderrall) wears off those symptoms disappear, or if I take the Ativan they disappear.  Anyway, I'm wondering if perhaps I should just quit the Adderall (adderrall) altogether and request a different medication.  I have only been taking it about 2 weeks now.

This discussion is related to Constant chest pain for 2 months after taking Adderall (adderrall).
Some of your abbreviations have given me trouble, I've made my second reading just now. I suppose they may be conventional in "text messaging", but some of us old-timers are not into text messaging.

I have concluded "dx" is diagnose(d).    But "hx" remains un-guessed.  

As for the medication that appears to be giving you bad side-effects, by all means discuss with your doctor..it may be a question that can be answered over the phone, no office visit necessary.  
Jerry.. Hx is history. The letter "x" is common in medical and other types of shorthand in treating people.  Bx = behavior, Tx = therapy, Dx = diagnose(d) and Hx = history, though these vary. :)

Judy,
In my similar experiences, while not quite the same amount of time, I can suggest a few things...
1. Don't stop taking any medication without talking to your doctor.
2. The adderall (adderrall) is definitely known to aggravate MVP symptoms and can put pressure/stress on your heart.  If you are already experiencing worrisome symptoms, this might not be for you.
3. The anxiety and depression symptoms are more likely to blame for the ADHD.  The more you stress and worry about things, the harder it is to concentrate on important tasks.

My advice, from experience only and not medical expertise, is to sit down with your doctor and talk about your concerns.  I would discuss other options as far as your anxiety, depression and attention span.  While your MVP may be mild, it is also most likely partially to blame for some of the anxiety.  (Often the rapid heartbeat causes feelings of anxiety in people with MVP.)  You might want to consider things to quickly dispel excess energy and stress, such as molding playdoh or a hobby.  It sounds silly, but it works.  Also, taking frequent short breaks (1-5 minutes) to breathe and relax during projects works wonders.  Overall, discuss all your options with your doctor and do not agree to take anything if it does not work, makes things worse and/or causes more stress.

:) You deserve to be happy and healthy!  Good luck!
It is a product of professional.
It need people make efforts to research it.
actuated valves