Heart Rhythm Community
Afib after PVI--expected or indication of failure

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

I had an ablation 3 weeks ago and was great for 2 weeks, regular rate and rhythm. In the last week, I have been every combination of fast and normal rate with regular and irregular rhythm.  I had a couple of days when my regular normal rate was the brief episode, rest of the day was fast irregular or both. I am also still on Tykosyn, which did  reasonable job at controlling the afib before the ablation.  I'm just worried that the procedure is failing, if some one could reassure me that this is common remodeling and part of the process, I can live with it for a few weeks.  Also does anyone know of anything that I can do to improve the chances of success, (ie exercise or not when in fast or out of rhythm)
Interesting post because I had my ablation about the same day as you did (Oct. 2) and have been wondering the same things.  I was in normal rhythm for only 8 hrs after the procedure and then in afib for most of my stay in the hospital while getting started on Tikosyn.  I called the EP and they added Metropalol to my meds which put me into NSR about 65% of the time.  My EP told me that the shaky post-ablation start has nothing to do with the final outcome, which can't be accessed for 3 months when all of the healing and remodeling is complete.  Right now my AF burden is probably a little worse than before the procedure, but the pattern is different.  The episodes are shorter but more frequent.  See the response from Tom to my comments under Heart Rhythm/Recovery Time after Ablation.  He reassured me that it will get better.  Just to be fair though, I read that studies have shown that patients that spent a lot of time in afib immediately after the procedure had a lower chance of long-term success.  As to what you can do for yourself, I read on afibbers.net that doing a lot of exercise may actually increase inflammation, the thing that you want to reduce so that healing will be fast.  I have been taking extra anti-inflammatory foods such as olive oil, fish oil and tumerac.  I haven't seen any improvement after 3 weeks, but am expecting to see it soon.