Aa
A
A
Close
1770925 tn?1365622122
Afib and sleep
I have mild Afib and use Warfrin, I think they are the cause of my sleep problem.
I need to sleep on my right side, on the left I feel the heart beat. The problem is that I wake
up every 1 1/2 hours with mild discomfort (ie short of pain) If I get up and walk around
I'm OK for another 1 1/2 hours sleep. I feel the problem is muscles starving for
nutrition. If I eat 3 gum drops, the problem goes away and I sleep for 3 hours. My
doctors have run all the tests for hyper or hypoglycemia. If I take a sleeping pill my
doctor prescribed, I sleep for 5 hour sessions. But it leaves me too groggy to play
golf the next morning. (I play 4 rounds of golf each week).
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1569985 tn?1328251082
Congratulations on the golf at 87!  You are doing better than I am at 67.  

It is my understanding and experience that sleeping on the left side pushes the heart closer to the chest wall.  It is uncomfortable for me and usually results in irregular beats.  I have taken a beta blocker for 10 years for my afib and have found no trouble sleeping with it.  I have sleep apnea that is well controlled with a cpap machine.  Have you had a sleep study?  The waking and sleeping cycles you describe sound similar to sleep apnea.

I wish you luck with this.  A good night's sleep is very important in Afib and in general.  Let us know how things are going.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
1770925 tn?1365622122
I also have damaged nerves in my legs from pherphial neuropathy
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
1569985 tn?1328251082
Is this the same as diabetic neuropathy?  My husband suffers from that and takes Lyrica for it, which really makes him sleepy.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
1770925 tn?1365622122
No mine was from sulfa drugs. After 4 neuroligists one cured me. now I hae nerve damage and nobody treats that.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
Blank
Nsvt commented on nsvt
Dec 01
Blank
Karismatico commented on Marathon Running Done...
Nov 28
Blank
Heart Rhythm Community Resources