Heart Rhythm Community
Afib and trouble breathing

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Afib and trouble breathing

Hello all,

I am a 37 year old female that has had Afib for the last five years.  I have had 4 heart cath ablations and tried every medication that they thought would help.  Recently I have begun having problems breathing and wondered if this was the onset of CHF.  I will gain 5 and 6 pounds in a couple of days that I assume is fluid because it will go away quickly with the correct diuretic.  My heart is enlarged but I have not been told why.  I went from roofing a building to being in the hospital in a matter of 3 weeks...it has been downhill ever since.  I just want to be able to walk and breathe again.

THanks for listening
Are you in permanent AFib, or do you have periods of normal sinus rhythm?  What is you blood pressure and resting heart rate?  High BP can cause heart enlargement.  Is the heart size stable, not continuing to enlarge?  Are you taking an anticoagulant to reduce stroke risk?

I am much older and suffer from Permanent AFib, for which I take drugs to control the ventricle HR and and anticoagulant to reduce stroke risks associated with blood clot formation in the fibrillating atrium.  Otherwise I am doing ok, I can function almost up to the average for my age.

Keep in mind, even if a medication (and/or ablation) can not stop AFib, one should consider medications to control the heart rate and clot formation.

Perhaps one of your medications is causing water retention.  I also take a calcium channel blocker and it caused some ankle swelling, but that has mostly stopped after my body adjusted to the medication.  If I have swelling, I don't notice it.
Dear Ivess:  Are you taking Toprol Xl.  I was taking it and had some respiratory problems and they put me on Bystolic ... the Pulmonary doctor told me that Toprol XL sometimes caused breathing or bronchial problems.. and the Bystolic is more respiratory friendly... they are both Beta Blockers... hope this helps Claytex
jharpphcs added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
RHyslop joined this community
Welcome them!
May 06
SassyLassie commented on I had no idea there w...
May 06