Heart Rhythm Community
Alcohol and A-fib

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Alcohol and A-fib

For 50 some years I've had a martini and four or five drinks a day.  Good diet and exercise playing golf 3 times a week and running 12 to 15 miles a week.  Have had one episode of a-fib every couple of years since 2001.  In the last month it has become chronic with several episodes.  Doc says it's the alcohol but I also take four different antihistamines for allergies.  
What, if anything, causes your episodes?
Tags: A-Fib
HI-I have afib that surfaced in Jan and I have had to give up all alcohol. I used to have an occasional glass of wine, but I still can't have it without it triggering more arrthyhmias. I also find any foods with MSG and related products reek havoc on my heart. Caffiene is very bad also. What it came down to for me was-would I rather have a glass of wine with the possibility of afib and tachycardia, or no arrthyhmias-I chose no arrthyhmias-I hate them intensely. I would also say 4 different meds for allergies is not helping-try to find just one. I wish you luck-Debi
Thanks for your comments.  My social life is surrounded by parties, etc.  Guess I'll have to find an alternative drink.
Good luck
    Alcohol is a common trigger for a fib.    For many, that means excessive drinking.  Please understand I am not being judgmental, but a martini and four or five drinks a day is a health issue and seems like it would fall into the excessive category.  
    For others, any alcohol consumption seemed to initiate a fib.  Myself, alcohol did not seem to bother me, but my drinking was less than one per day and probably not more than three drinks a week.  Caffeine was more of a problem.  I moderate my caffeine intake even after my successful ablation.  
Any artifical sweetners also trigger
Thanks to you good folks.  I've known that my drinking has been to excess.  Guess it finally caught up with me.  Haven't used any artificial sweetners as I've not had coffee for 40 years. Two weeks now without any booze and only two short episodes.  Don't want to need cardioversion or ablation.  
Thanks again for your comments
My tachycardia was initially brought on by alcohol.  I had WPW and had 3 episodes in my life.  I quit drinking for nearly 1.5 yrs.  I recently had an ablation 1 month ago and have since had several beers.  I am optimistic about my ablation because more than 1/4 of a beer within the last yr would have landed me in the ER.  I had a celebration with friends and family last weekend where I had, how can I say this, MUCH more than a 1/4 of a beer and didn't have one issue :)

best of luck
I am a very moderate drinker. I like to have one glass of wine most days. However I just had an ablation for persistent afib and wonder if anyone has experience with having an occassional glass of wine post-ablation, without negative side-effects.
Thanks, Ana
Alcohol has always been a trigger for tachycardia for me as well as over the counter meds.  Is there a reason for the 4 different allergy meds, that could cause your arrythmias also.   I have a finicky heart and alot of things set it off.  Arrythmia' are like allergies, If you keep the stimulants away your heart will stay calm.  If you find specific triggers.

Ana, I am 1 year post ablation and I can have one drink but I need to drink water in between or my pvc's kick in and my heart rate goes up.  Everyone is different. If your EP gives you the clear after you work out the kinks of your ablation,  You could give a glass of wine a chance again.  

Good Luck!