Heart Rhythm Community
Alternating High/Low Heart rate and Blood Pressure after Sprain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I sprained my ankle 3.5 weeks ago. My doctor thinks I probably went into shock after because I was very sick to my stomach and I was shaking uncontrollably. After this I started experiencing "waves" of sickness. These episodes would be mostly at night or at naptime. Even if I wasn't sleeping that is when I would  get the episodes. My heart rate would go up between 100-120 bpm. The highest my blood pressure ever got was 140/89 although my blood pressure is normally on the low side so this was very high for me. Also with the waves I would get really sick to my stomach, urgent stools,chest pains, palpatations, and chills. I could be at a dead sleep and it would wake me up. The "waves" would last for a few seconds to acouple min and then I would feel some relief but my blood pressure would still be somewhat elevated and my heartrate would still be in the 90's. These episodes last anywhere between 4-8 hours. I have gotten very little sleep because of this. After a few nights of this I started to get a drop after the beginning raise. My heart rate and BP would be elevated for maybe 4 hours then drop for 2 hours. My lowest BP's were 87/47 and 89/45 with my lowest HR at 62. I would go from one extreme to the next. Now I don't get much of the elevated but mostly the lower. I also am now getting weird sensations (almost tingling) in my head during the episodes. I had a holter monitor but that night I did not have an episode. I had an EKG and and Eco which showed no abnormallies. I have Ehlers Danlos Type III, Fibromyalgia, Adrenal Disfunction (although unsure what kind yet but after spit test my cortisol levels stayed almost the same all day plus I have lost almost 2/3rds of my hair and even more during the last 3 weeks that they are thinking are related to adrenal disfunction), I had a tick disease last year that went undiagnosed for over 3 months and haven't felt the same since, among other issues such as repeat infections, etc. I am having a problem getting in to see a specialist. They want me to wait 1.5 months! I am wondering if there is something related to my heart that could be causing these problems. I see a naturopath also and she is leaning toward lymes disease but I just done understand why I was fine until the stress of the sprain. Also, the lymes disease test she is using takes 3 weeks for an answer. If this is something I need to be worried about or get checked out right away I would like to do that. I am 32 yrs old and have two small children I need to take care of.  I can get any test done if you have any idea on what should be checked or if you do not think it is even heart related.
I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  It sounds like you do stay on top of your health which is good because unfortunately no one on this board can say for certain why you are having such symptoms.  I am not that educated on adrenal dysfuction but I do believe it can have an affect on the heart.  The fact that you have a normal echo and ekg is a good sign the overall health of your heart is good but you obviously want to keep it that way and these crazy fluctuations in your bp probably should be treated.  Have you been offered bp meds or meds to treat the adrenal dysfunction?  I simply wonder if the shock triggered your brain to go a bit more into the adrenal dysfunction than it was before.  As for the episodes you are feeling I would go back to the doctor and ask for an event monitor.  The holters are of no use if a person does not have daily episodes.  The event monitor is generally worn for a month and is sometimes manually triggered or the patient pushes a button when they feel the episode depending on the type you get but this is the best way to get what you are feeling document.  Otherwise you may never fully know what it is though I suspect it may be related to the adrenal dysfunction but it is obviously alarming enough to cause you to loose sleep which isn't good for your longterm health.  Hang in there until you can get back to see the doctor.  I know it seems a world away but if you ever feel in dire straights then just go to the emergency room.  Well take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.