Amiodarone for Afib
   I am a 62 yo male that had bypass surgery 8 years ago. I have been a serious runner and cyclist for 35 years and am trying to continue this program. Unfortunately, I have been beset with Afib that comes on mainly during intense exertion (mostly climbing hills on a bike) but also from moments of anxiety. I was prescribed 100 mg amiodarone daily and that was 100% effective. I have titrated the doseage back to about 50 mg/day and it is mostly effective.
  Based on the toxicity of amio, I have been trying to get off it. Recently I tried dronedarone and that has not worked. My cardio does not seem concerned about the long term toxicity of the amio due to my low dose but the effects are supposedly cumulative and I am worried at my relatively young age. Do you feel that this is an appropriate med for me or should I be exploring the possiblity of an ablation?
I am 50 years old and I had a ablation done a year ago. I am taking 200 mg per day. I had the ablation for Afib. I went back to the EP in August and he told me when I see him in March, that he would cut my dose down some. I have not had any trouble or side effects with amiodarone. I think that you would have to be on it for a very long time before any side effects, i don't know.
My opinion is that it sounds like you and your doc are trying to throw the spaghetti noodles against the wall to basically see what sticks and i don't think that its too healthy for anyone to do this especially if you are seeing that the atrial fib is in any way becoming more progressive.  Beta Blockers are a treatment and an ablation with the right doc is a cure.  I had mine done a little over four years ago, am in my mid 50's and got my life back but i always tell everyone to do your research to find out if its right for you.  Good luck with this and we are all here for you if you have any questions either way.
As I am in my early 70s I'll agree 62 is "relatively young".  

My point? Discuss getting an Ablation with your Cardio/EP.  I've had that discussion in the recent past and in my case (permanent AFib which has stopped my running for exercise) they say my symptoms are not serious enough to justify the risk - low as it is - of an Ablation.  I suspect the Medicare allowed rates are not very attractive, so if your insurance covers you'll be ahead of the problem if you get it before Medicare age.  My private insurance which is continued as part of my retirement package is only secondary to Medicare.  Medicare sets the rates that my private insurance holds to.  

Good luck, I was running up to age 67, so my record says you have at least 5 more years of high output exercise.  I liked bike too, but not mountain biking, just road trips.