Anyone know about pacemaker moving?
I've had my pacemaker since Jan. 2000. In Feb. 2000 I had an ablation and my pacemaker was "anchored" in because it moved around so much.  March 2000 it was placed again because of movement. 3 years ago my battery died and had unit replaced. Since then it has moved around all in my chest and shoulder area. It stands up on end if I move a certain way and I have to push it back down. You can feel where it is at just by touching my skin. Today I saw a new cardiologist and he was very concerened about it moving so much. I started having pain in my chest and shoulder area Friday after it was on end and I pushed it back down, that is the reason for my visit today. Anyway, he has me seeing the surgeon in the morning to see about having it anchored in some way. I am overweight and don't know if that is the reason it moves so much. So my question is does anyone else have this problem or have you ever heard of a pacemaker unit moving this much?
I have heard of that but not sure why some people have that problem and others don't. I know they can either place it under the skin or under some muscle. Not sure which is best. I would guess muscle but you can ask the doctor. My Dad had his under the skin and it never seemed to move at all. I hope they get it fixed soon. It's got to hurt.
Thanks for replying.  I went and met with the cardiac surgeon today.  He said that moving as much as mine does is rare but happens every once in a while.  He was concerned because of it causing pain. I am scheduled Monday for surgery, he is going to try and place it behind the muscle if not he will attach it to the muscle. He said he had never seen one in the position mine is in. Also he apologized over and over that no one ever took me serious about it moving and that I've had to go through this. I felt very confident with him because I had been on computer all afternoon looking things up and found very little info. The only thing I did find was about placing it behind the muscle which is the first thing he said.  Hopefully this will work and I won't have any more movement out of it!  Thanks again!
Sorry you have to go through another procedure but the muscle should anchor it pretty well. Take care.
I had a pacemaker placed under my muscle in May. It has not moved at all that I know of and you can not see it under the skin at all. My doctor said in the long run that would be better because I am 36 and active. It does take longer to heal but that might solve your problem. Good luck!!!
Thanks for replying. From what the Dr said this should fix a problem that I never should have had. You said it takes longer to heal.  What should I expect after surgery?  My surgery had to be changed, it won't be Monday but definitely this coming week.
I am not sure how long it would take normally but it was about three weeks before I started feeling better. It is really sore the first three or four days. Did you have it yet?