Heart Rhythm Community
Arrhythmia and Panic Disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Arrhythmia and Panic Disorder

Please, I would love some guiding information. I am a 27 year old man 6'1" tall and weigh 235 lbs. About one week ago, I started having arrhythmia attacks. I have suffered from panic disorder for 2 years now, but this was clearly not a panic attack, I took my pulse and could feel the skipping beats. I take 2 mg.'s of xanax a day for the panic disorder. I also drink WAY more than I should, as I live an incredibly high stress life, and the panic attacks don't help either. I am adopted, so I have no knowledge of family genetic history or health. To sum it up, I have the panic attacks, drink way too much, and dont have the active lifestyle I once did as I now own a business. I even occasionally smoke marijuana, which i have done for 10 years, but not since the first arrhythmia. At the E.R. I visited they told me I have a sinus arrhythmia. I guess my question is, if I give this all up, alcohol, stressful life, marijuana, - can I hope to live a healthy life, or am I doomed from my poor decisions. Any answer would be greatly appreciated. F.Y.I- My b.p. is usually @135/78, at rest heart rate is approx 70-80 per minute. Panic attacks are frequent, and I consume on average 7 drinks a day. Please, tell me what I should do, I want to change my life and would like to live a little while longer. Thank you so much, god bless.
Hi I know how scary an arythmia can feel.  I take xanax on occassions and don't notice it making my pvc's or pac's worse.  I would like to say if I drink I always get the skipped beats.  I have come to realize this is one of my triggers.  So I can not drink alcohol.  As far a the pot I can't comment because I don't know if it can make it worse.  If you have anxiety it can make them worse or if you are having frequent skipped beats it can cause an anxiety attack.  Stress can make things worse as well as caffeine.  I know it's hard to hear because you are probable drinking and smoking to help deal with your stress of your own business but all of this is probable making it worse.  I guess if you are asking for advice the only thing I could recomend is maybe asking or hiring someone to help with the business.  Stopping the smoking and drinking will be hard but if you are 27 and have your own business i'm sure you are a motivated person and there are support groups that could help with that.  If you are on xanax ask the doctor you get them through where you can go for some support to stop.  I'm sure the doctor will tell you it is dangerous to smoke and drink with the xanax.  If you are having alot of panick attacks you should probable be on an everyday medicine to help with the anxity.   Belive me I really used to like to have a glass or two of wine to unwind and I really miss it.  Sometime I just do it and I ALWAYS regret it because it triggers them or makes them worse.  I wish you luck and you could always go over to the anxiety forum to read other people postes.  I wish you luck.  
Thank you for the advice tia. Alcohol has definately been a trigger, and I know I must stop this and the pot. many thanx
You may not get better but you can better manage your symptoms. But I don't think you have anything all that worrisome, just plain old palpitations. Can you give more info about them?
Definitely try to stop drinking. I used to drink about twice as much as you, averaging 2/3 of a 5th of hard liquor a night. They arrhythmia was horrible the next morning and finally caused me to stop. There's definitly a noticable difference in the 'accute' attacks that were no doubt due to dehydration or whatever else alcohol does. But my premature/skipped beats and exercize related arrythmia has not gotten better. And don't smoke pot: I don't  think it will hurt you but if you are like me, you'll probably have a horrible panic attack. I'm not sure if my condition is a result of being so hard on my body but that's in the past and we have to look forward.
Somewhat unrelatedly, I can say that i've learned how to deal with stressors much differently since I stopped drinking. Life is a bit more boring but I feel I'm in controll of things now, including my emotions. Give being dry a try for a month and see if you can get a sobe frame of mind. Alcohol, as I've leaned, can only contribute to panic disorder.
Best of luck
well seems like you have got some good advice already !!!!! but here is my 2 cents ,this site, and reading others stories that you could have wrote about yourself ,and the feeling of not being the only one who gets this is awesome! best site I found , anxiety and adrenline will diffenantly make them bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try yoga or relaxing things,  NO NOT ALCOHOL SILLY ! you have alot on your shoulders and we are living in troubled times, I think we are all way highend in anxiety + more flip flops ! Your not gonna like this but the alcohol gotta go! if you want any relief it causes more skipped beats in the long run believe me Ive had this 21 years now and tried everything and alcohol diffenatly makes it worse. xanax is better or valium or soma but the detox of off those meds is a B******!!!!!!! .Calicium/magnisium powered form helps, fish oil helps, good food with little to no gassiness helps,( seems there is a stomach /skipped beat connection I have noticed!) walk or exercise at a pleasent pace . Take a rest, sleep 8 hours all this things I have learned the hard way hope this helps! your friend Lori
Thank you all very much for the advice. I know the drinking must go, and i'm going through the detox right now. It is great to know there are places like this with people who are kind enough to offer advice and they're 2 cents. I wish you all the best of luck in you individual situations. God Bless.