Heart Rhythm Community
Arrhythmia due to cervical spine issues?

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

I have a diagnosis of Afib secondary to a prior case of pericarditis. Treating Afib with Bystolic. Last Tuesday developed bradycardia; heart rate in the 40 to 50's. Constant chest pain, spent night in hospital for cardiac work up which was negative. Now we are going to do EGD to rule out stomach issues causing low pulse but I am thinking my cervical spine problems (which have worsened) may be the cause. I also have upper thoracic pain. Could this be the cause?
No.  If there's violent trauma, such as a neck fracture, that puts pressure on the spinal cord in a specific area, cardiac instability is possible, but this does not happen with arthritic degenerative changes in the cervical spine.  It has to do with anatomy.
Actually, there are numerous incidences of cardiac arrhythmias induced by non-tramatic and even normal degenerative issues in the cervical spine.  A quick review of either osteopathic or chiropractic literature will produce examples and mechanisms.  I would agree with the other commentor that it is highly unlikely to cause cardiac instability, but bradyarrhythmia is hardly categorizable as unstable.
I would think the Bystolic is pushing your heart rate down into those numbers.  I take Atenolol for A  Fib and my heart rate went from usually in the low 90's to right around 50.  THe Dr told me it isnt a problem unless you feel faint.  Do you  have other issues they are worried about?  The chest pain could be the A Fib.  are you in constant a Fib?
The Bystolic seems most likely to be the culprit of the bradycardia. Cervical issues that could involve the vagus nerve could also be the cause of the bradycardia.