Heart Rhythm Community
Arrhythmias

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Arrhythmias

What could cause sudden stomache acid rush and arrhythmia with severe breathlessness combined,?  these attacks last about 20-25 minutes, gaviscon relieves the acid pain, but the AF continues for some while.
Just "Click" on the Jerry_NJ in any of the post on this thread, that will take you to my profile and a brief story on my experience with AFib.

Try to get back into NSR if possible, I understand the longer one is in AFib the more difficult it is to stop it.

Here in the US almost all of us 65 and over are on Governmental Medicare, all of our private insurance is just back-up, in my case I have a maximum out-of-pocket insurance.  It protects me against large medical expenses, but not against a few thousand $$ out first.  Medicare here and the new Obama care are putting a lot of pressure on the historic private practice of medicine in the USA, and I find myself it is increasingly hard to get medical attention, the Medicare payment rate is lower that most doctors feel they need.  We can, of course, pay the difference if we want to.

I take beta and calcium blockers to reduce my HR (Ventricle rate).  It keeps my resting HR in the 70-80 range.  My doctor believes with the minor problems I have with AFib "rate control", not "rhythm control" is the best practice.  That is he says my life expectancy isn't improved by getting me back into NSR, so why take the risk?  Yes, there is a risk no matter what way we decide to go.  Invasive procedures, such as ablation, have higher risk than non-invasive, such as electrocardioversion (electric shock/stop/start), which worked well for me for a number of years, but no longer.
Are you using the abbreviation "AF" to stand for Atrial Fibrillation?  If so, have you been diagnosed with AFib, or is this a guess on your part?

I ask because I suffer from AFib,and am now in permanent AFib, all the time 24/7 as far as I can tell.  I have very little or no stomach/indigestion problems, I can eat about anything and not have any stomach symptoms.

I'd go after the acid rush first, what is causing it if not the heart, and I do not think the heart is causing the stomach symptoms.  Can you connect the episodes with any particular time-of-day (meal time), or with any particular food or drink, or maybe stressful times?   Just making suggestions, it would be a good idea to discuss with you doctor if these symptoms become severe or frequent.
Thankyou Jerry for your kind reply.  Yes Attrial Fibulations (can never remember how you spell that!) Maybe I was a bit stressed when the acid rush came on, and then it didn't take much for it to happen again, was already suffering from AF befor that, it's on and off a lot of the time, and I am waiting for the cardiologist to do some tests, have been waiting several months, and have now complained to my GP about the time he is taking. Have you found a cause for yours?  and a treatment??
The cause of AFib are many and one driver is aging... seems the heart's electrical system wasn't "designed" to last 100 years. I don't have the number handy, but I think something like 20% of people over 65 suffer from AFib at least occasionally.  

As far as "we" know, I didn't develop AFib until I was in my mid-50s, and at that time and for the next 17 years I ran for physical exercise and fitness.  I was also converted with electric shock several times during that period and took arrhythmic medications (Propafenone and Beta Blocker, not at the same time) and was in Normal Sinus Rhythm most of the time.  If you are interested you can learn some of the details of my AFib history in my Profile on this Forum.  That said, heart valve problems contributed to an enlargement in my left heart atrium, and this could have been what caused my AFib, it is the reason my doctors have me on "rate control" that is I take medications to lower my Heart Rate, and let the AFib run as it may.  A monitor shows it is AFib all the the time.

I remain fairly active, walking on the level is not a problem and I can do some heavy yard work , albeit with more resting then when younger an dnot in AFib.
Thank you Jerry for all this, most informative;  sounds quite a lot like me, walking on the flat....I am fine on the flat, but hills and stairs, no!  Love gardening, and even digging, maybe I should be taking this more gently now.  I find if I get stressed (overdo things) I feel AF comming on.

I  wore a monitor which showed AF quite a lot of the time, but not all the time.  That was three months ago, and not had any treatment reccommended, and the attacks are becomming more acute.  Apparently, irregular AF is more dangerous than continual AF because the irregular type causes clots, and subsequently strokes, so am on warfarin via my GP.  Are you?  and how do I get into your profile?
Do I take it Jerry thatyou have rapid heartbeats (like I have) and not the slow sort?  I too had electric shock treatment (and they stoppped and re-started the heart)  this was several years ago when I lived in Mallorca, and was on privated medical care (fantastic!) then after a while of this, I had the wire through the main vein (Aorta) and cauterised (? I think) the left valve (ventrical?)  I was cured!! fabulous;  until recently, seems it is comming back, the electrical circuit going awry.  I can't see me getting   that   treatment on the NHS.  I can't even get any treatment at all so far!  My GP is trying to speed things up with the specialist; good luck to him, I say, hey?

I've been dx with SVT and PVCs.  They get very bad when acid reflux happens.  I was dx with GERD and have to take meds for it.  It was under control until last month.  I landed in the ER with constant acid reflux, palpitations.  Had an echo, EKG, nothing dangerous with heart but GERD is bad.  I've gone on a special diet for acid reflux....eat small meals and stay away from acid-provoking food.  There's a book called Dropping Acid that gives the foods to stay away from.  Acid reflux can make your heart go wild.
Well, Kimtitus, this although short, and me being new to all this 'jargon' has been most enlightening, as I think you are saying that the acid reflux and palpitations, (or Attrial fibulations?)  can come together? What is SVT? and PVC's please?
I produce stomache acid, that seems to rise into my chest, and I get atrial fibulations almost immediately, is this GERD?  It is sooooo bad, I know, I feel I am going to die of the pain.  I am taking H2 blockers, (calcium blockers?) antacids, 'GAviscon' is very good, and probiotics, nutralise the gut, and there are other complimentary medications that are recommended that I am taking some of, if you want to know of any?  Diana
Thank you jerry for all your info, I read your mails a few times over, trying to absorb everything you say.  (voting you 'best anwer').  I had eltrocardioversion too a few times, about 8-9 years ago, It didn't work for very long. So in the end they did the 'cauterisation' cannot remember the name of it, wire into the main vein starting in the groin, up to the heart valve, electric impulses I think, about one hour, I was awake and quite comfortable, and prnounced 'cured' there and then.  And so I was for several years, now it seems to be starting over, I am not shure if it is the same thing, I hope not.  But have you enquired about this none invasive proceedure?    Diana
PS  these 'calcium blockers' you mention Jerry, are they 'H2 blockers' to block acid?  Some members here have told me they suffer from GERD  (acid reflux) and palpitations too.  Diana
PS  have you heard of 'the Vagus Nerve? kimtitus?  I have only recently heard there can be a connection between this nerve and acid reflux and Atrial Fibulations.   Diana
PS  further to my previous mails, I would like to say, that your medical system there is far superior to our NHS here, where, if you do not have private medical care, you can wait many months to see a specialis, especially it seems in cardiology.  You cannot just go and pay for private care or for superior treatment (ie. proceedures and ops) if you are not already registered with the private company;  as you can in your case.  So on NHS you are stuck with it, and the care you are, or are not getting.  And the older you get here, the less likely they are to want to do much for you!  Not good hey?
Sorry for the delay...

The calcium channel blocker I take causes a relaxation (I believe this is correct) of the arteries and thus lowers blood pressure and the "load" on the heat, it has nothing to do with calcium for stomach problems.  I also take beta blockers to lower my HR, and that also lowers my BP.  With this combination i have a resting HR around 75, with some irregularity...still as I am in permanent AFib the oxygen delivery via my blood is not up to the best it could be, that is if my atrium were doing the assist job they are "designed" to do, I would have more oxygen delivered to my physical needs.

I am very much opposed to the ongoing government takeover of the USA medical system (Obamacare - nickname).  I hope this election will see a change in the President and increase in the conservative makeup of the congress and a backing away from the NHS transition that is now underway.

I am a senior, thus I am on Medicare, a government program that dictates rates for doctor services and support and pays 80% of those costs.  These approved payment levels does block access to some doctors, but my experience is most doctors accept the Medicare deal, but the continuing cut back on the Medicare payment approval amount may make that system become less responsive.  At the moment, I have all the benefits of private health care and a government payment help.  Prior to become 65 I had private insurance which was similar to Medicare, but I had to pay premiums for the coverage.  In fact there are some premiums I have to pay for Medicare, over $1,200 US.  If you see any news from the USA the subject of the ongoing cost of Medicare is often discussed...we are seeing a large increase in the number of people over 65, thus the cost is exploding.

I don't know if I answered any of your questions, surely not all of them, but I hope some of the information is helpful.