Artificial Heart Rate ??
Not sure where to post this question, but here goes. First off, both my parents, now deceased, died form CHF. My older brother has just been diagnosed with CHF.  I am 55, 255 lbs. 5' 11" , just had a nuclear stress test as I want to start exercising again. (Mainly on my exercise bike which I love to do)  He said all the tests were fine. No blockage, etc. I also have had  SVT for over 20 years and suffered Afib  back over a year ago with they kept me in the hospital for a few days until my heart converted back on its own. I don't think I have been back in Afib since, although I do have bouts of flutter once in a while. I have been taking Warfarin now to thin my blood for over 2 years. I have also been taking Atenolol 75mg twice a day for the SVT attacks and to keep my heart lower in BPM's. I suffer from sever panic disorder which also drives my heart crazy. I take paxil for that which doesn't seem to help all that much.

So my question is:
    I bought a HRM so I can check that I am in my safe "Target Heart Rate" while riding the exercise bike. Since I am 55 years old it says I should say in the range of 85-140 bpm. 85 low end 140 high end. BUT since I am taking the Atenolol it keeps me from beating fast. So the heart resting rate and exercise rate is really a artificial heart rate and not my real heart rate without medication. The best I have been able to get is about 98-100 bpm. But is that a true reading or am I really over exerting my heart at a much higher rate. And if so, what should my exercise target rate be taking the medication.
I don't know the answer to your question but being on a betablocker I have wondered the same thing. Hopefully somebody can answer this.
Beta Blockers have always lowered my resting HR but have never prevented me from running my HR high from exercise.  At age 55 I would jog (run 10 minute miles average) at a HR of about 150, but at times would have to slow down to prevent the HR from going up much higher.  This was when in normal sinus rhythm, I suffer form AFib.  I weighed about 230 and 6'6" tall.

I am now in permanent AFib and take both a beta blocker and a calcium channel blocker and I have to limit my physical exercise to keep my HR below 140, I'm now 72 and a HR over 140 should be avoided.  So, while these drugs do lower my HR, they do not prevent me from pushing my HR into aerobic zones.

I can't guess the accuracy of your HR monitor, but I consider it strange, from my experience, that you can not stimulate your HR by exercise.