Heart Rhythm Community
Atenolol beta blocker side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Atenolol beta blocker side effects

I have just been prescribed Atenolol beta blocker and am a bit reluctant looking at list of side effects. My condition is atrial fibrillation for which I will be taking anti coagulant but the Atenolol is to try and get heart rate lower during periods when it's high. I have low blood pressure so am concerned this might make this worse but main issue is with side effects as they sound pretty bad. If I had really high blood pressure then maybe I'd need  Atenolol it but with low pressure it seems less of a good idea? Any advice?
I was on Atenolol for my a-fib for a couple of months. The only side effect was that it made me very tired. I was taken off of it because it did not control my rate and was put on Sotalol.
Atenolol is an interesting drug. I am not an expert on it. My mom takes it and it's been a mixed blessing for her. My advice is to have your BP and heart monitored as frequently as possible to make sure they're in the healthy range. The list of side effects on any medication is usually scary. The main side effect I'm familiar with in terms of Atenolol or any other beta blocker is that it can take months to get used to. In other words, you may feel very tired and low energy for months and then one day you'll just start to feel better again. At least that is what both my mom (who takes Atenolol) and I (who take Coreg) experienced. It's good to know what the potential dangerous side effects are and then if you experience any of those, call your doctor. I think most people tolerate beta blockers well, but there are some who simply cannot take them for various reasons. If you question whether or not you really need them, well what can I say? Welcome to the club! Good luck!
Hi Rick,I have been on atenolol for years..Right now im taking 50 mill in the morn,50 at night..I have never experienced any side affects (that im aware of).I understand where you would be concerned about your low blood pressure though.I have high blood pressure (which is the main reason im on it).