Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Athlete with Biotronik Pacemaker

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Athlete with Biotronik Pacemaker

I'm 57 with a history of A-fib/flutter, 4 ablation attempts, heartblock after last attempt. Initially got Medtronic pacemaker that was changed 6 months later to a Biotronik pacemaker with CLS sensing, three wire BiV unit to help with running/racewalking. The running was very slow with the Medtronic device & I could barely run an 11:00 minute per mile pace.  

With Biotronik unit, I can't run at all in CLS mode. The unit drives the heartrate down when I switch from racewalking to running, even if I was able to get the HR up to 140/150 depending on where the limits were set.  After just 50 or so yards of running, the unit drives the HR down & I have to start walking again. In accelerometer mode I can run, but the HR never matches the pace very well. It ramps up to the max and the heart is out of sync and I feel lousy.

Many attempts to adjust pacemaker by Biotronik rep, on & off treadmill, in both CLS modes and accelerometer modes.  With and without upper chamber turned off.  Biotronik says my impedence signal is too low & the device is not sensing it very well.  Tried Sotalol to keep the upper chamber on and controlling the HR without A-fib, but it slows the HR so much that I can't get it high enough to support strenuous exercise.

With Medtronic device I had very little Tachycardia, but as soon as the Biotronik device was inserted, I seem to have a lot of it.

1) Has there been similar experience with Biotronik devices in athletes?
2) Is it possible that the Biotronik device is causing more frequent episodes of A-fib?
3) Where could I go to get better support and adjustments of the device?
4) Is there a better device that would allow me to run?
5) Are there any other options or combinations that would allow me to run again?

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Biotronic.  We didn't use them  much where I trained and I do not implant them now.

This is unlikely to be device specific.

The best options are a knowledgeable doctor about the device and the programmer that can follow the instructions and help tweak it.

This is hard for me to answer without seeing the device diagnostics -- knowing the percent of time in atrial fib, your rate histogram, and exercising you on a treadmill to make sure rate response in appropriate.

These a great questions but I can't answer them without knowing more information about heart function, the device programming and your response to it.  I am not that familiar with Biotronic devices.  Do you live in Europe?  Biotronic is implanted much more often over seas.
I got quite similar problem that I can't walk more than 10 minutes.  I also think is my pacemaker stuff up!  Once I stop the exercise, after half to one minute then I feel faint and nausea.  I need exercise to wake up my organs because they are going to die one by one.  My cardio is only care for his pacemaker (although is in my body but I got no right to control or said yes or no.)  He said as far as the pacemaker is working fine.  It covered everythings except rupture.  I don't think he is honest.  25 years, he never put me one on the treadmil to see how I and the pacemaker worked?????  Good luck and hope it works well for you.