Atrial Flutter Ablation
I am a 27 year old male diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation. I also have bradycardia, mitral valve prolapse, and relatively low/normal blood pressure. My cardiologist believes that the flutter is causing the fibrillation and wants to ablate the flutter in the hope that it will resolve these issues. Both the flutter and fibrillation have only occurred about 5 times in the last 2 years, which is when I began to have these problems. Also, the flutter and fibrillation seem to be exercise induced (most recently during a stress test at my cardiologist's office which caused me to be hospitalized overnight). I am interested to learn from other people with similar diagnoses and experiences regarding ablation (procedure, recovery, and success).
Hi.  I have had two PVI ablations and one for AFlutter.  I enen had a pacer implanted two years ago.  The procedures were very positive.  I felt very good for severl months to a year after each ablation but AFib kept coming back.  The elecrical paths would reconnect and then AFib was back in business.  The PVI ablations were very long in length (7-8hr) and then you have to lay flt and not move your leg(s) for 8 hrs.  Both times I stayed overnight in the hospital.  The AFlutter ablation was much shorter and I went home at the end of the day.  All in all, it took me two days to get back to my regular routines.  My surgeries were on Wednesdays and I was back at work on Monday with very little difficulty.  

My AFib did not go away even with new meds.  Two weeks ago I had an AVJ ablation and I am solely dependent on the pacer now.  That procedure was very short and I went home int he early afternoon.  I am off all meds except for coumadin and I feel GREAT.
Good luck to you.

ksig
Lots of good experience information from KSIG, but I recommend you not take too much form it as your condition may be much simpler, and will not degenerate into the need for a pacemaker

Given the infrequent occurrence of atrial problems, I think you have a very good chance of a real improvement from the ablation procedure.  AFib involves ablation in the left atrial chamber, making it more complicated and risky than the cases were the ablation is in the right side of the heart, but it is well understood.

Best advice, get a surgeon (or whatever the ablation specialist is called) who has lots of experience, does it several times a week.  Practice makes perfect.
I had an ablation for a-fib and a-flutter in January 08. I was first diagnoised with a-fib in 2004, then in 2006 I also developed the flutter. I had a very rapid a-fib/flutter combo. The ablation took almost 8 hours and has been a success. I have not had any episodes for over a year now. The best advise I would give to anybody who is considering an ablation would be to do your homework and go to the best EP available to you. It took me 2 years of researching EP 's and hospitals before I made my decision to go out of state to Univ of Penn. Like Jerry_NJ said above, practice makes perfect and when it comes to ablations this is so true.