Atrial flutter after ablation for atrial fibrillation
I developed and atrial flutter a few days after an ablation for atrial fibrillation. I was told this was a common side effect. The EP (one of the top EP md's in the country) told me I needed a cardioversion to bring my heart back into rhythm. The cardioversion succeeded, however I continue to have frequent PAC's and over the past two months after the ablation, i've had three episodes of rapid heartbeat (131pbm). They last about one hour, are accompanied by high blood pressure. As soon as they come on I take a small sedative (1mg. Ativan) and 30 mg. of Cardizem. This rprotocol seems to work well. I wonder if these post ablation events are a normal part of the recovery? Thanks
I can't speak from any personal experience, but I can say it sounds pretty normal form what I have read.  That said, keep in contact with your doctor to be sure you are making acceptable progress to a full recovery from AFib and absent any atrial rhythm flutter.  I assume the flutter is causing the high HR.