Heart Rhythm Community
Baby Asprin

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Baby Asprin

What arrhythmia's would cause a doctor to prescribe baby asprin?  

My doctors aren't telling me much right now.  They have stepped up their aggressiveness in handling my heart, but haven't mentioned anything other than you're having a cardiac MRI done next week and you need to start taking baby asprin.  I saw my 30 day monitor summary, so I know what arrhythmia's it caught....just trying to figure out their thought process.
***  Aspirin, sorry for that spelling error  :/
I believe I recall from your event monitor that they caught some afib so that is likely why the prescribed the aspirin.  There is a higher risk of throwing a blood clot with afib so they tend to prescribe medicines that will thin the blood a bit.  I would say though if you ever question anything and they fail to tell you or you forget to ask initially don't hesitate to call them with questions.  You have a right to know what is going on with your health.  Talk to you later.
Some arrhythmias can cause blood to pool in the heart, which can lead to clotting.  Atrial fibrillation comes to mind as one possible clot culprit.  That's just one example.  There are other reasons aspirin may be recommended.
Thanks!  Yes, A-fib was on the summary.  I didn't find out until today about the aspirin.  I tried to get information from the nurses at both offices, since both my cardiologist and my EP thought it would be a good idea for me to take the aspirin.  I trust both of them, so I'm not questioning them.  I just want to know what they saw because obviously something raised their level of concern.  I'm sure I'll find out more next week after the MRI though...I just hate waiting  LOL
It is very common  for doctors to prescribe asprin, especially baby asprin -- I would not worry too much that it means something serious.  They are finding asprin helps a lot of things with little or no risk.  Let us know how your tests come out.  Wishing you luck and sending good vibes.
Thanks guys!  

One of the things I've read was that they don't like giving it to people under 45 unless you're at risk for a heart attack or stroke....is that consistent with what you've heard?  

Yes, I think you're right, it's prescribed more for older folks.  And Afib is a risk factor for stroke, altho depending on how many risk factors you have, they might prescribe Coumadin.  There's something called a Chas 2 score and that's how they decide if you need the heavier duty blood thinners.  Since they haven't figured out your situation yet, I would guess it's precautionary.  You know, better safe than sorry.
I am wearing a 30 day heart monitor.  My EP said that if he detected a-fib he would prescribe a beta blocker and baby aspirin.  
I'm one of those "older folks" (that's fine, I can take it  ;-) ) who was prescribed a low dose (80mg) daily aspirin.  My PCP who is also a pulmonary specialist feels that it helps survivability in the event of a heart attack or stroke.  Since my ablation, he has me continue to take a low-medium dose beta blocker (75mg metoprolol) for the very same reason.  I seem to tolerate both well without any side effects.
mkh9, and LindaTX commented on mkh9's status
Aug 28
LindaTX commented on margypops's status
Aug 28
mkh9 100 degrees in San Diego an... Comment
Aug 28