Heart Rhythm Community
Beat fast after eating??? Why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Beat fast after eating??? Why?

Does anyone else experience faster, harder beats after eating a large meal?  Why is that?
Hi, and Happy New Year!!
I dont really experience faster beats ( Im on Atenolol, 100 mg a day..so that prevents that) but sometimes within MINUTES after I eat, my palpitations, skipped beats, etc, all hit me at once. Its awful. And, not all the time. It will usually last a couple hours, and really makes me regret eating!
I had a real bad time about a month ago....and I went a couple days, just eating the bare minimum, tiny bites, trying to avoid the horrible palpitations. Finally, I get so darn hungry, I cant do it anymore--and then I will eat, with fear, and they WONT happen. Its bizarre--theres NO WAY for me to predict when it will happen.
Hi, I also experience this. I believe it's because your heart has to work harder in order to divert blood to your stomach and digest all that food.
Wow do i know what you are talking about! For a while I was getting a slightly elevated heart rate (about 105) after eating breakfast, even while on Toprol 12.5 mg. Then today, after eating a big filling meal, my heart rate Skyrocketed! It felt like it was beating really fast, nothing like what I was usually experiencing after breakfast. After about an hour it went away, but it was SO scary. :-( When I started to feel "normal" again, and took my pulse it was 108. This was over an hour later.

Yes i have experienced a faster heart beat when i have eaten a large meal, for me it usually happens when i have eaten spag bol, or a pizza cus i have huge portions!! And when i drink alcohol, my normal beat is between 70-80 but it can shoot up to 110! Quite scary, but it doesnt happen all the time, so that does not bother me!

I do not know the answer as to why though, i guessing it could be to do with what exactly we have eaten, if we are overweight etc etc... I suppose your doc will know the answer!
I'm not sure about heart rate but I was told that some arrythmias can be due to the vagus nerve which is affected by eating certain foods, etc. and are triggered in the stomach or abdomen. I often have thought my A-fib was part of this because I always seemed to burp and feel like I was having trapped air after certain activities post eating and this would lead to a sensitivity. But mine didn't happen that often.
I just experienced a rapid heart rate about 10 mins after eating 2 pieces of greasy pizza.  My resting hear rate is around 65 and it jumped to 130 and lasted for about an hour and it was pounding.  Very ANNOYING.  I've had heart palps in the past, had ekg's, ultrasounds, monitors and my heart is health, normal rhythm.  I had betablockers on hand, took one 40mg of Inderal and it helped.  I think the pizza was so greasy it caused this.  My intestines were rumbling also as the food was passing through the body.