Heart Rhythm Community
Bradycardia

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Bradycardia

Hi I am a young male 24 years old. About a year ago I experienced a PSVT or at least that's what my doctor thinks it was. He told me that it was triggered from emotional stress. I have done every test on the book and I am fine but I have bradycardia 55-50 most of the time while I am sitting. It speeds up when I am standing. The thing is that I don't do any training since 3 years. I was very active until I turned 21 . I did cardio training 3-4 times a week. So my question is ... Is my bradycardia normal? Am I at risk of getting a worse (symptomatic) bradycardia? I never smoked, I never did drugs, I rarely drink alcohol. I weight around 154 lbs and I'm around 5.8 feet tall
Avatar dr m tn
Based on the information provided, I believe your resting heart rate of 50s is most likely NORMAL for your age.  You can make sure of that by having a resting 12-lead EKG to determine the RHYTHM, which I assume has already been done.  Having a normal rhythm but slow resting heart rate (sinus bradycardia) does NOT make your more likely to have arrhythmias, fast or slow.  I also doubt your "PSVT" episode a year ago is related to your resting heart rate.  
The fact that you don't have symptoms with your "bradycardia", is a sign that your heart is strong enough to pump enough blood with less heart beats. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. The fact that your heart rate increases properly when standing (and exercising) is also a good sign.

It's like when you're driving your car - when you're driving steadily at 50 mph, why would you want to have to drive in fourth gear at 2500 rpm when your car can handle it in sixth gear at 1500 rpm? As long as your car also can handle 6000 rpm when needed, it's just a good thing...

Athletes can have "bradycardia" (I use the " because 50-55 isn't much of a bradycardia) for many years after their careers are finished.

A slow heart rate can cause some more premature beats, but not other problems as far as I know. You were also lucky and got an answer from a doctor (the answer above). I recommend that you follow his advice. Good luck :)

PS: Why don't you start exercising again? :)
Thanks for the answer. Could the PSVT be related with emotional stress? The doctors seem to think I had some kind of depression
Thanks for the answer. I didn't know I had bradycardia and after the "PSVT" (which in fact we are not sure it was a "PSVT" because we didn't caught it on ECG) I was afraid to keep on training