CARDIAC ABLATION
Would appreciate information regarding cardiac ablation when you are in atrial fibrillation and have had previous heart surgery?  I'm very concerned if I should do this or not.  THank you.
   Your cardiologist is in the best position to assess your risks in your particular situation.   I would suspect it would not be a problem, or it would not be discussed with you.  
  When I decided to have my ablation, it was described to be as a "low risk" procedure, but not a "no risk."  The chances of complication are very, very slight.  It was a tough decision for me, however,  because I had no previous experience with catheters or any sophisticated medical procedures.  I even thought as I was being prepped, "Now what have I gotten myself into?"  
   Now,  20 months later, I have no regrets, no arrhythmia, and no medication other than a daily aspirin and a statin for cholesterol.  I recommend ablation heartily (pun intended) to everyone with a fib.  
   But please know we all experience some level of anxiety about having this done.  What you are feeling is entirely normal.  
Thank you for your insight; I appreciate it.  I'm going for a second opinion at the univ of pa.
I just had my ablation done 3 days ago and I am just waiting to see if it worked. It is painless and about just 0.1% complications in most of the cases. You go home probably within the same day and if it is successful it very much pays of if you have symptomatic flutter
I assume it will be a radio frequency ablation (RF).  I have had 9 done of them in my ventricle vs. your atrium.  However, the procedures are quite similar.

I can only recommend the ablation.  It will most likely fix your issue better than any medication can.

Good luck

Bernd
I had a RF cardiac ablation for AVNRT one month ago.  I thought the procedure was no big deal and I was awake for the procedure. I felt no pain at all. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Good luck.
Betty