CHF
My  dad is  66 years old, has CHF stage3-4.also has difibrilator. His cardiolkogist says he  need a LVAD . I am wondering if  Open Heart Surgery will help him. they where going to do that 3/12 but he decided  on a difibrilator. He was really sick then, now he is 70 per better. Thank you.
Hello, has your dad been having worsening symptoms? What made the cardiologist recommend an LVAD? Can you set up another office visit and just ask for your dad to be seen to answer questions. The office should certainly agree to that... Thats what your doc is there for. To help us through rough patches when we need them. Maybe you could go with your dad just to be an extra set of ears for him. Medical info is so overwhelming, Im guilty of not asking questions or clarifying something just told to me, and then get home frustrated.

LVADs are used to support the heart when the heart cantdo it on its own. I know they make portable LVADs that a person can take around with them, but I cant remember how closely a person needs to be monitored when they have one.

Open heart surgery sounds like it was an option so Im wondering why the doc suggested an LVAD now. Thats a really good question but only his doc could answer that for you. Its probably a very simple answer, but if it were me, I would wantto know why before going through with anything.

Wishing your dad the best.

What would the open heart surgery be for?  Sorry, I don't understand most of the terms, I respond mostly to share some good news about open heart surgery.

I had open heart surgery to repair a mitral valve and to do a maze procedure to treat my atrial fibrillation.  I do not believe I have ever been diagnosed with CHF, but my cardiologist suggested I might if I didn't get the open hear surgery.  As you can understand the suggestion that I might undergo open heart surgery went done hard, scared the **** out of me.

However, I can say open heart surgery was almost fun, or the ICU time was. I love all the doctors and nurses who took care of me during my 5 days in intensive care - I was off all catheters about day two but the great heart institute I was in doesn't move their patient out of ICU until release time - here I assume a normal 5 or 6 days is all that's needed.  I had very little pain, nothing I really remember other than the bout with the breathing tube removal, no fun there.  I was 67 at the time, so already an old guy.  I had been rather good about exercise and weight control prior to surgery (not so good since) and I'm sure that helped me recover.

I share mostly to testify that open heart surgery is not as bad as it sounds.  I don't want a second round, but if needed I'd not worry as much.