Heart Rhythm Community
COQ10

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

COQ10

started taking COQ10 - along with magnesium, fish oil and hawthorn - for irregular beats/pvc's. Have read that people taking COQ10 should avoid "vigorous" exercise. Any validity? Have also read COQ10 enhances exercise endurance, and this seems contradictory ... Thank you.
Hi there,
     Coenzyme Q10 (aka ubiquinone) is necessary in the body to facilitate electron transport chains in cellular respiration.  In other words, it's a big part in getting energy for your cells.  There is a lot of conjecture and what not out there to suggest that CoQ10 is beneficial in curing or treating multiple ailments including heart health.  I'm not at all sure why CoQ10 would be recommended to reduce arhythmias such as PVC's though.

PVC's are caused when certain cells in your heart give the "fire" signal too early and cause your heart to hiccup.  These cells, given higher quantities of CoQ10 would be more efficient in their energy production, but the misfiring would not be affected.  The mechanism for misfire has to do with a proton pump within the cell (all kinds of complicated) but is NOT directly related to the functioning of CoQ10.  This, of course, does not mean that taking the supplement will hurt you in any way, and...since the overall mechanism of CoQ10 is still somewhat mysterious...it could make a difference.

As far as your question.  I can see why someone would claim CoQ10 enhances exercise endurance, simply because of its function....it helps release energy in the cell.  Exercise endurance requires energy output and a greater energy output can only increase endurance.  

At the same time, CoQ10 has been reported to lower blood sugar levels and blood pressure.  This decreases oxygen and sugar availability for cells at a time when greater quantities of energy are needed.  Presumably, the greater efficiency in the cells uses sugar and oxygen faster thereby putting greater demand on your body to supply these resources.  People with hypoglycemia or low blood pressure should not take CoQ10 without the advice of their doctors.  

If a person is suffering from heart disease, research has shown that use of CoQ10 lowers oxygen/blood flow during intense exercise and can cause heart attack.  For this reason, intense exercise is often discouraged in that population.  However, if you have a healthy heart, and you are taking CoQ10 you will likely be fine.  (I can only say likely because I'm only a biology teacher not a doctor)

You should discuss the risks/benefits of taking CoQ10 with your doctor.  This supplement may not be useful for you at all, and if you are taking beta blockers, you could be putting yourself at risk.  Since CoQ10 lowers BP and HR, that coupled with beta blockers puts you at a REAL risk of symptomatic bradycardia.  There is no evidence that CoQ10 does anything to help arhythmias (heart disease yes, arhythmia no) and you may be taking this supplement for no useful reason at all.

As with ALL medications and supplements (over the counter or not) speak with your doctor about risks and benefits specific to you and your current medical treatment.

Take care.

I'm interested in how much of each of those supplements you are taking.  I have PVC's, and I've been taking 400 mg of magnesium citrate per day with no results.  I wonder if I don't take enough, but I don't want to overdo it.  I've been thinking about trying hawthorn, too.

Thanks!
800 mg magnesium, 2 hawthorn caps (plus two cups hawthorn berry tea) - but I think fish oil has played a large part in eliminating pvc's.
I don't know about C0Q10 helping with PVC's, but I can tell you that after experiencing statin rebound sinus tachycardia and irregular beats for about a month, as well as PVC's, all of this appeared and then disappeared within a period of two and one-half months of taking 600 mg of CoQ10. I was getting a heart rhythm disturbance on average every couple of days, now nothing of the short for over two weeks. Whether or not I will continue to have no further rhythm disturbances, I do not know, but I do know that everything right now seems to have settled down. And after two months of C0Q10, by the way, my ejection fraction went up over ten points. The stuff is worth a try.
Does anyone with Mutiple Sclerosis take coq10 supplement? If so, is it any benefit?