Heart Rhythm Community
Can Flecainide cause PAC's or PVC's.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Can Flecainide cause PAC's or PVC's.

Can Flecainide cause PAC's or PVC's. I know that people take it for them, but I am taking it for AFib, and when we upped the dose enough to stop my Afib last week, I started getting the PACs (or PVCs) often.  Mostly when I'm on the computer (stress when reading info about scary heart problems) and also whenever I feel a moment of stress.  Can't figure out if it's AFib wanting to start and being stopped by the Flecainide (250mg a day) because I use to get those weird beats before an AFib episode.  Now however, my pulse is normal and the beats come and go.
Dear Diane: I have taken flecainide and take a little once in a while now for pvcs...I had an ablation and got rid of my afib but have occasional pvcs or pacs.. dunno which...anyway to answer your question, in my opinion , yes I think it can cause them as well as stop them.... I have found that when I first start taking flecainide.. it doesnt help pvcs or pacs much,,,, but the longer I take it the better they get.... I think the body must have to adjust to it or something... and here is the strange thing... My worst problem with pvcs and pacs is when using my computer... If I stay away from this computer, I dont even have them... I have a question as to whether I slup over too much and cramp or squeeze my heart and cause them ...or would you think something coming from the computer screen may be starting them... I am almost of the opinion that we are getting something electrical from the screen that starts them... Ive never asked a Doctor and i figure they would say no way...but Im not so sure..after all its an electrical problem with our hearts... and I can put my arm up to the tv and sometimes my pc screen and the hair stands up on my arm.. I sort of tend to think we are getting something electrical from the pc screens that is initiating the pvcs and pacs... I know that sounds crazy but I have tried standing and using my computer( built a tall desk) and i still got them... and i really dont think its stress...so you tell me....laughing... HOpe this helps Claytex
Yes, it can cause PVCs or PACs for some however stress can do the same thing.  However, most people experience these beats and perhaps now that your AF is controlled you are able to notice these?  
    I am amazed that you said you also get them when at the computer, because that's when they are in full force for me.  You might have some idea regarding the electrical aspect.  My idea is that it's stress because they started after the meds, and I've been very stressful obsessing over the side effects of them and what is happening to me....so I'm constantly looking for answers on the computer.
      I have learned so much about the meds, etc. but I also found out that Afib begets Afib and persistant Afib can lead to heart failure. So that's another stress factor. I've had Lone Afib for about 8 or 10 years, was taking atenolol but it was working less and less.  Didn't like the side effects of weight gain and feeling spacey, so I went to the cardiologist.  He put me on a holter monitor and started adding meds and changing meds, and my Afib became worse and worse.  I had read the flecainide should be increased once every four days if it isn't working, but after two weeks when I requested an increase, he said It was too soon.  I think he was mixed up with the digoxin, which has a much longer 1/2 life.  Point is that he left me in constant Afib for over two weeks. I had never had it more than 4 or 5 hours because I would take an extra atenolol to stop it. But he absolutely forbid me to "self medicate".And now something new with these PAC's or whatever they are.
      Stress also causes these PACs or PVCs for me, I have found, and this doctor really stresses me out.  So today I went for EKG and the Afib started as soon as I went into the EKG room.  So the doctor probably won't be able to see what he is looking for with the Afib happening at the same time, because he was looking to see if the meds were causing any rare electrical problems, which can be caused by these meds. I'll probably have to go on a holter monitor again to see what these intermittent palps and thumps are which feel like the descriptions I've read regarding PACs/PVC's..
      By the way, what dose of Flecainide are you taking, and have you had any breathlessness when walking with it?  I'm taking 250 a day, and that dose started the breathlessness.  I started with 100, then 200, but they didn't work.
I use to get them shortly before an Afib episode. It was like a warning sign.  But I'm getting them without Afib following.  Perhaps the flecainide is doing it's job by stopping it from going further?  For years, I only had occasional Afib. Only these past 2  months have I had Afib so often, so the PACs alone are something new for me ,    
I get SOB sometimes as well with Flecainide at 200 mg a day (100 mg twice a day).  I mentioned this to my cardiologist and it was sort of dismissed.  Sometimes I will feel it while I'm just sitting around not doing anything.  It's not severe, it just kind of catches you a little off guard because sometimes you just feel like you are suffocated a little bit and aren't getting as much oxygen as normal.  It doesn't usually last too long though.
I take 50 mgs  if i have pvcs.... used to take 100 twice a day. before I had my ablation...however most of the time I dont take flecainide... My doc prescribed the 50 mgs for pvcs "as needed"  So I dont take it often...only if the pvcs get start....and if i stay off the puter .. i dont have them... have you considered an ablation..? my afib was pretty bad for 12 years and the ablation stopped them... been afib free for 3 years.By the way they left me in permanent  afib 5 weeks once.. i couldnt believe it.. thats when i changed docs and went to an EP. I couldnt tell you how many electro cardio versions I had back when I had afib... somewhere around 15 probably....laughing.. Later Claytex
I had 2 cardioversions in December 2012, 2-1/2 weeks apart.  The first time th and even then I had to complain about it! I was exhausted.  The 2nd time it was the next day -- got a different nurse on the phone.  What in the world is the point of making us wait if from previous experience we know we are not going to convert on our own????  I was NOT  a happy camper!
The above comment was supposed to read, "the first time I was in afib for 6 days before I could get in for a cardioversion."  

I also get pvc's and pac's while on the computer.  It is usually after I've been on for a while and I was thinking it was just that I was tired, but maybe it is something from the computer.  Claytex, you may be on to something!
I never used to have what I now recognise are either PVC or PACs.  I just used to get periodic AFib and had an ablation last September.  Since then I got two AFib episodes of a few hours, the last fairly recently.  However, I now get pulsing tinnitus in my left ear so that I can hear a double beat coming and going just as soon as I lay down at night (not the computer for me!).  This has the effect of making me wide awake and anxious.  I did take 100 mg Flecainide daily pre ablation and felt very stable on this, but now take only a low dose aspirin and no meds.  I see the specialist on 27th of this month, having handed in a Holter monitor a couple of weeks ago.  Wonder what he is going to say?
    Thank you all for your input.  It really helps to hear other's experiences.  If the flecainide (or other meds) doesn't work, the doctor said pacemaker with beta blockers (which I didn't like before for 7 years) or ablation.  I don't take Warfarin (I do aspirin) so wondering if you have to take warfarin before an ablation, because I read you do to prevent blood clots escaping during the ablation?
     Also, for those who split pills, such as 250mg a day, can it be taken as 100 in morning, and 150 in the evening to avoid daytime side effects if it stops the episodes from occuring?  Or with 100 in morning and 125 in evening?  Flecainide has a 20 hr half life.  I've read some comments from people who took uneven doses like that.
It is essential and mandatory to be anti coagulated before and after an ablation, that is in UK two months beforehand and one month afterwards.  I opted for Pradaxa, being intolerant of Warfarin and I had no ill effects from this.  In fact I wonder if I should still be on something similar as I have had some AFib since.  I only take low dose aspirin now and started that without any consultation as it seemed sensible.
Just to add, my GP told me if I am to travel abroad, it would be a good idea to have Flecainide with me in case of problems.  I have never experienced any side effects with that drug, even when I was on 2x50mg daily, one taken morning and one night as evenly apart as possible  I took them over a six month period pre ablation and was stable all that time.
JoKelly; Please let us know what your doctor says regarding if you will have to take meds now, since you've had an ablation.  If meds don't work for me, I will have to try an ablation, but I see that some people still have to take meds after one.  I don't know if the meds didn't work before the ablation, or if the ablation didn't stop their Afib.
     I just now read your post re: was stable on 100 mgs a day, and with no side effects.  Why did you have to have an ablation is my question?  
     My doctor doesn't give me much info about anything.  He just gives the orders and options without explaining why, or side effects, or what to expect, or anything.  Yet he tells me not to get info off the internet.  My gosh, I've learned so much off the internet.