Heart Rhythm Community
Can I just stop metoprolol

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Can I just stop metoprolol

I had I'm guessing a sudden increase in blood pressure that was giving me a feel of pressure in the head and neck.  My heart rate would also race at the slightest of movements.  Everytime I stood up the pressure would increase in my neck and head it was difficult to do anything.  My bp was I think 160 over 100 at it's highest.  My bp had always been slightly high and I was never put on anything.  Well now I've taken metoprolol 25mg tartrate twice a day for 2 days.  My heart rate came down to 60 last night usually its never lower than 70.  My bp has decreased slightly and it alleviated the pressure in my head and neck and I thought I was going to be able to have a good nights rest.  But no now I am feeling almost every heart beat in my chest.  It's keeping me up.  My heart must be beating harder now that I can feel it right?  I thought the metoprolol would make it beat less?  I don't know if I should continue to take it or if this is a normal side effect.
Also right around the time for my next dose this morning I was having second thoughts about taking it and went about 15 minutes past the time i been taking and began to have chest pains.  I decided to take it and went to the ER just to be sure the pain subsided my EKG was beautiful the doctor said.  I'm wondering was that a symptom that started to happen because I waited to long without taking my next dose.  I've read stopping this med abruptly can be dangerous.
I would think the time-response you describe is very unusual, especially for your relatively low dose of Metoprolol.  I have taken as much as 100 mg twice a day, time approximate, morning and night, about 12 hours apart.  I have also changed to 50 mg twice a day, just started that lower dose this past Sunday.

I take it to lower my HR, and it helps, but I never see anything lower than 70 BPM.  It could be lower when I'm asleep, but I have no way of knowing as I'm not on a recording monitor.

I think your reactions may be driven my your emotional expectations... just a guess.
i take atenolol which is a beta blocker too (although its a little different). when i first started taking it, i could feel when it was time to take the next dose, because my hr would increase. now i'm on a higher dose and i don't feel that anymore. perhaps you need to be on a higher dose. but your situation seems a littler different from mine, so i can't adequately say; only give my experience. i don't have high blood pressure (low bp actually), so that might mean something different.