Heart Rhythm Community
Can you have surgery while on plavix

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Can you have surgery while on plavix

I'm planning on having sugery this fall and i'm still taking plavix for a heart attack i had in 2004.  Will i be able to have the surgery if my cardiologist refuses to let me stop taking plavix for the surgery?
You must talk with your doctor/s regarding this.  

The one doing the surgery needs to know what medication/s if any you are taking.  

The doctor/s who prescribed Plavix or any other medications you may be taking will need to be informed as well.  

They will be able to inform you as to what to do regarding your medication/s and surgery.  

Don't forget to mention any natural supplements as well.

It depends on your condition and your doctor. I agree, you need to talk to the surgeon and your doctor who has put you on the plavix in the first place. Both my mom and dad were on plavix. When my mom needed surgery, she was taken of the plavix for awhile. However, when my dad needed surgery, he was kept on it. Your doctors need to make that decision. Good Luck! Wishing you well, and wishing you enough...
if you have insulin dependant diabetes I've been told to stop Plavix 1 to 2 weeks before  surgery