Cardiac Conversion

I am 41 years old and have atrial fibrillation.
I am active work out 5-6 times per week and have no heart damage. Have taken stress tests and blood work all checked out ok. I am taking 50 mg of metroprolol 2 times per day. This has not helped. My doctor is recommending cardiac conversion. I do not want to do an invasive procedure if possible. Is there a non invasive option for me? what do you feel my next step should be

Regards,

chris
An electro cardioversion in more-or-less none invasive, that is no knife of catheters.

The patient is sedated, and the procedure is done in a hospital, on an out-patient, or same day, basis.  

A couple of them put me back in sinus for 18 months or more, each, but they no longer work for me.  

I think some people get several years of relief from AFib by this method.  It is easy to do and was covered may my insurance (before I became Medicare covered).  
Thanks, Jerry

I was hoping for another option. One that didn't involve hospitals.
I am trying to find out when is it right to take this step or is there other options before you go to this procedure

Chris
Are you in continious a-fib, or do you have an occasional a-fib attack? There were more times when I would convert on my own, however I have had to be cardioverted by both IV meds and shock. If you are still in a-fib, cardioversion by IV meds is the least invasive and if that doesn't work than the shock is the next least invasive. I personally had to have an ablation done because my a-fib & flutter got progressively worse.

Thanks for your reply.
I would say it is continous. I feel it at some point every day.
I think I am still in denial it came on kind of quick and since I have taken the medication it has gotten a little worse so I am trying to figure out if I should try a natural way through vitamins before going to the cardioversion. Did the cardiovesrion help you at all? Did your a-fib come on quickly too?

Thanks,

chris
Yes my a-fib just suddenly appeared in May 03. At first I was told it was anxiety. I finally was diagnoised with a-fib in August 04. Yes the cardioverts did help me for some amount of time. My a-fib was a rapid one, and by the time I had my ablation I was having episodes daily (I was very symptomatic, I would pass out when my fib and flutter would occur together). Check out the web site afibbers.net/forums, they have alot of suggestions for vitamins. Alot of people on this site prefer to take vitamins to help control their a-fib.
I have undergone 4 electro cardioversions over the years with the following results.  In each case I went through a period of trying to gain conversion on medications.
1.  Found I had AFib, continuous at about age 60.  Went on Toprol XL 50 mg, did not convert
2. I had an elctro cardio and was converted, continued to take Toprol and Aspirin.  About three months later I was back in AFib.
3.  Changed cardiologist, and went on Propafenone 225 mg three times a day.  Also went on Warfarin  did not convert
4) I had electro cardio #2 and was converted, continued taking Propafenone and Warfarin. About 18 months later I went back into AFib, shortly after reducing my Propafenone from 225 mg three times a day to 225 mg twice a day.
5) I had electro cardio #3 and was converted, stayed on Propafenone three times a day and still went AFib in about 18 months.
6) I could not go for another electro because my leaky mitral valve was causing my left atrium to enlarge, now too large.
7) I had open heart surgery to repair the mitral valve and has a mini-maze procedure done to stop AFib.  I came out of surgery in sinus and remained in sinus for about 30 days.  
8) I was referred to an electrophysiolgist  who put me on Rythmol SR 425 mg twice a day, I did not convert, he did my #4 electro and was in sinus for about a week.
9) My symptoms are mild enough that an ablation is considered too risky, and I have resisted stronger medications, so I am now in "rate control" AFib.  I take 50 mg of Metoprolol ER twice a day, sometimes more.  

I have some troublesome AFib symptoms, but none if I am not engaging in heavy physical effort.  I may try a strong medication, but for now I am just living with AFib.
Hi Twinbee,

Thnaks for the information and website. I apreciate your help

Regards,

chris
Hi Jerry,

.
I appreciate you sharing your experiences with the cardio conversion.

Have a nice nigt

Regards,

chris