Heart Rhythm Community
Cardiac ablation this Thursday! Eek!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Cardiac ablation this Thursday! Eek!

Hi everyone!

I am scheduled for my EP study and ablation this Thursday at Mount Sinai in NYC. I am alternating between being incredibly excited for a possible end to my SVT..but then also feeling absolutely terrified over the entire experience. I am 30 years old and have been dealing with my "funny heart" for years - had multiple holters, EKG's, trips to the ER, etc - and have had times where my tachy was almost non-existent, and times where it happened multiple times a day. I was told it was just PAC's and anxiety.. but finally, this spring, my docs were finally able to catch it on the most recent holter and ever since I have been preparing for the procedure. I was put on Atenolol, but had a hard time tolerating that so am now just off meds and dealing with the tachy. I am really looking forward to getting back to feeling good when running (I'm a long distance/marathon runner) and just also being able to have a glass of wine with my husband at dinner without waking up suddenly in the night with a horrible run of SVT!

I would love some words of wisdom, inspiration, thoughts to calm me down.. This seems like an amazing forum and I've loved reading through many of your posts about procedures such as this. I'm a nursing student and on a short couple weeks break for summer vacation. So...without studying, I feel like I am going crazy with all of this free time leading up to the ablation. :) Did anyone have theirs done at Mount Sinai, by chance? Any tips on what to bring with me on my overnight stay in the hospital? Tips for recovering?

Thanks so much! :)))
You will feel like a millstone has been removed from around your neck.  As a former competitve short track speedskater and track cyclist, I can't tell you how it interferred with my life and competitions.  It was never knowing if it was going to "go off" or not that drove me crazy.  I finally had mine worked on two years ago, and have not had an incident since the night before the procedure when I was dinning with my wife in a quiet restaurant.

I was taken early in the morning, and did not have to stay the evening.  Have they told you that you will have to stay over?

Recovery should be only a few days  You should be ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, and be able to do some light workout within a couple of weeks.  My problem was the orange sized hematoma that formed at the puncture site.  That caused a limp for a two weeks or so, but I still managed to do some light laps at the rink with my son pacing me just seven days after the procedure.  I was 59 at the time, and now 61.

If you haven't already read it, go to the page of member Jannie411 and read her journal.  She gives a very good account of her procedure for which she was fully conscious the entire time.  By comparison, I was under general anesthesia for mine.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I wanted to add (but I can't edit my post!!) that I 54 years of SVT; 6-59.  It had become intertwined in my life, and I accepted it as something I had to live with.  It wasn't until my new PCP (who never saw my SVT) suggested that I see a cardiologist who put me on a 30 day monitor which captured three classic events that I was on my way to getting it fixed.  The EP said I was his "dream patient" as he merely touched the suspected area and it went off.  Also I have a slight abnormality in the atrial septum of my heart which made it possible to get to the left side without the transseptal puncture that nearly everyone else undergoes that need work on the left side.

I also wantewd to add that you won't need bring anything with you except perhaps a toothbrush if you need to stay overnight.  I walked in at 6AM and walked out at 5PM.

I wouldn't take steps for a few days.  I slept in our guest bedroom on the first floor for two days before trying the steps.
I had my ablation done 2 years ago and it was a breeze. The worst part was waiting after so I suggest bring a good book or your Ipad. I had mine at Stanford. Less traumatic than one round of being cardioverted.
Good luck!
Hi I had a cryoablation done last year august 19th for atrial tach (svt) and afib,and still no episodes of svt.Only minor bursts a couple seconds long.

Im surprised you had issues being on atenolol because I started that about 2 years ago,and I never had any issues.Atenolol is one of the mildest meds you could be on.Of course Im not taking it now ,and I havent been on meds for months which is awesome.I still get palps daily,but no biggy!

Good luck,and get plenty of rest after.Dont over do it .I would definitely take a couple of weeks just to chill,and gradually work your way back into things.
Hi Donna.  Glad to hear you're doing well, and good to see you on here!
Hi.  I just saw your post.  I had my SVT AVRNT ablation done in April of 2011. It went very smoothly and I have been fine ever since, making up for lost time doing all the things I wasn't able to do for so many years.  I lived with the problem for 40+ years and my only regret is that I wasn't able to get a referral to an EP to do it sooner.  Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done.  I wish you all the best on Thursday.  Take care, rest up, and try not to worry, OK?
Jannie411
I will also add my best wishes for a successful ablation.  If you wanted to read about mine you can click on my name and read my journal entry.  It really was a piece of cake.  The anticipation before hand was the worst part.  Best of luck and let us know how it went.