Heart Rhythm Community
Catheter Ablation Procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Catheter Ablation Procedure

I have to have a catheter ablation procedure done and am trying to decide when to schedule this.  I was wondering if anybody who has had this procedure or has in depth details on the procedure could inform me on what to expect.  How long is the procedure?  Will I be able to leave the hospital the same day as the procedure?  Will I be "out of commission," so to say, for any period of time after the procedure?  Will I be able to perform physical activities shortly after it?  Should I ask for a certain amount of time off of work after the procedure?  If so, how long would you suggest?  Is the procedure anything to worry about?

Thank you for any information/suggestions you can give me.  It is greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Repolarization Abnormality?.
Below is a direct link to a very good description of what to expect if you're going to be awake for the procedure:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/281881/Jannie411s-Ablation---Part-2---The-Actual-Ablation-Procedure--Pre-Ablation-Notes--and-Notes-for-the-Ladies

I have a journal as well, but mine has a big gap for the procedure itself.  I was under general anesthesia and remember nothing of the procedure.

If you get it done on a Thursday, you should be good to go by Monday or definitely Tuesday; perhaps a little sore but definitely ambulatory,

Read Jannie411's writeup. then we'll be here to answer questions if you;ve got more.
I wanted to add that you will be restricted as to what you can do for a couple of weeks.  They don't recommend heavy lifting, and your leg(s) and groin may be sore like you got kicked in the crotch.  I had a noticible limp for a couple of weeks.  Within a month or earlier, you should be able to hit it hard again.

Depending on your doctor, and/or the time that your procedure is scheduledyou may or may not have to stay overnight.  I when in around 9AM, and was released a little after 5PM.  Others there had to stay for observation.  If you stay, they'll probably cut you loose the first thing the next day.

The procedure is not without its risks.  But people have died getting their tonscils out too.....  The electrophysiology procedure is commonplace today, and there is minimal risk.  The team that in the room, is the best that you'd want in the event of a cardiac emergency.
Thank you for the information.  It is greatly appreciated and a big help.
I've had 2 ablations, the first a catheter ablation. Mine went for 10 hours (not recommended) and it began at 8:00am. I stayed overnight in the hospital and went home the next day. I was exhausted the next few days, primarily due to the anesthesia for that long I think. I took a week off work to rest and recuperate, then went back and was good to go.
The second time was a cryoablation and was 6.5 hours. It was much easier to recover from. Again, overnight in the hospital and took the rest of the week off (3 days) plus the weekend and was back at work on Monday.
Take it easy after, take good care of yourself, and let yourself heal. The groin aching was the only painful part of it both times.
good luck!
MaryLL
Thanks a lot.  Also greatly appreciated.
Hi Foley.....Today marks  one week since my ablation  for AVNRT. I'm 43, female and relatively healthy with the exception of having a suspicious thyroid nodule that needs to be removed (tomorrow!).  Last Thursday, I was wheeled into the EP lab around 8:30 am and was back in recovery around 11:30 am. I had no problem with the procedure itself...I was out for most of it and didn't feel a thing (except for the SVT they brought on but it was only for a very short time).   Supposedly, I was an easy case. I was given the option to leave that day or stay overnight.  I chose to stay overnight and was discharged at 1 PM the following day.    I was weak and achy in the groin for the first few days and then yesterday I tried to get some housework done but then ended up with groin aching pretty bad - I was trying to clean out my closet and I probably moved some boxes that I shoudn't have (I'm still pretty bruised on the right side too) and had to lay down for the rest of the day/night.   I would definitely plan to take a week off if I were you.  I'm probably at about 85% feeling better) now. I probably would have been OK to go work today given that its only an 8 mile commute and I have a desk job, but I definitely needed the week off. I was surprised at how driving one mile to pick up my son from school earlier in the week caused my groin to ache so I advise against any driving for at least 3 or 4 days post procedure.

Take care and good luck!  Karyne
The procedure for me was a piece of cake.  I was in and out in 2 hours and went home that day.  I wasn't given the option to stay overnight though I think it is a good idea most medical plans don't allow for it.  I was tired and winded the next day but bounced back for the most part pretty quickly.  I had the ablation done on Thursday and was back to work on Monday though I probably could have gone back sooner but choose to have a long weekend.  Probably a good idea.  That said, I was told not to do any heavy lifting  or exercising for a week.  I would also recommend not pushing any workouts too much for at least 3 months.  Use your best judgment but I had quite a bit of ectopic activity after my ablation that got aggravated with too much exercise.  A lot of people recover quite quickly but give it a good 6 months for full healing.  If you are interested in reading about my ablation you can click on my name and read my journal entry.  I was awake the whole time and though I was stressed initially to do it I found out it really wasn't any worse than getting an iv put in so really quite an easy procedure for the patient most of the time.  There are risks to doing it as with any medical procedure but I believe for most typical run of the mill congenital svts the complication rate is like 2%.  So very low risk with a very high cure rate, especially if you have the most common type, avnrt.  Though avnrt has the highest risk of the possible complication of needing a pacemaker it is likely the doctor will stop and leave you with your svt before putting you in a position to need the pacemaker.  No one can say for certain but basically odds are you will go in get cured and not have any complications.  And in the end doing the ablation may be the best thing you could have done for the long term health of your heart.  Best of luck and let us know when it is.  I will send good thoughts your way for a successful ablation.  Take care.