Heart Rhythm Community
Catheter Ablation Recovery Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Catheter Ablation Recovery Period

Does anyone know how long is the typical recovery period from a catheter ablation for tachycardia? And how long it will take to get back to work? Thanks in advance.
It seems to vary widely. The heart itself may take months to heal and settle down rhythm-wise. As far as the general physical side of it, I was feeling pretty normal within a week. I've had 3 ablations and each time I felt a bit different but it seemed to be related to how long they were in my heart. The second time took almost 7 hours so I felt kind of tired for a week. The 3rd time only took a couple of hours so I was ready to go in no time at all. I did go back to work within a couple of days but had to follow the doctor's orders - no lifting heavy objects. For me that meant no lifting 40 lb beavers or wrestling with Bald Eagles. LOL But I did most of my regular duties.

It seems other people seem to feel the fatigue longer. I know ablation for a-fib is harder on the body and will require a longer healing time.

So there's my answer LOL. It depends. I would say you'll be up and back to fairly normal activities within a week.

Thank you very much, Ireneo. I'll avoid the beavers and bald eagles, also, he, he, he.

Thanks again :-)
I had a ablation just over a month ago now. I had to have 2 weeks off work as my groin area on my right leg was very painful and badly bruised. I think looking back i must of had a small hematoma as my bruise did spread down my thigh slightly. I think everyone recoveres differently. I was told my ablation was very successful, but i am still having the odd wierd beat and small runs of palpitations now and then. I've also had a little light headedness, but i believe this is all to do with the healing process as i have been told it can take months for your heart to really recover and for there to be a real difference in how you feel. Even though i have had the odd palpitation,etc they feel different to before. So if you don't feel 100% straight away don't worry. Just listen to your body. I also found that when i get tired i feel really tired. But it is a nice tired feeling unlike the fatigue i had before the ablation. I'm due to have a follow up appointment with my EP Dr in Jan so it will be interesting to see what the holter monitor results will be and what he has to say. I'm abit anxious about it and i don't think the anxiety since the ablation has helped me. That's another thing you may notice, you can't seem to get your brain to realise that you have had an ablation. Every little blip or odd feeling makes you think oh know..it's back or it has not been cured. I found that the Drs didn't really give alot of information about the recovery other then you can do normal acvtivities within 1-2 weeks. Which was not the case for me. So any questions of concerns just come on here and talk to us all. It really has helped me to talk to people who understand what you are going through.
You are right, demps, recovery is different for everyone. Yeah, doctors don't give you much information. So, I guess I'll follow your advice and stay around for a while :-)
I am exactly 3 weeks from the ablation.  Physically everything is back to normal except for a fading bruise mark on my thigh and tinnititus, which I had before, but seems to have gotten worse since the procedure.  I can hear my pulse much louder now (pulsitile tinnititus).  The EP nurse said that will diminish with time.  As for the Afib, I currently have about the same or a little more 'AF burden' as before the procedure, however it is different now.  More frequent episodes but usually only a few hours in duration.  I am hoping that this is a good sign.  I was not one of those that immediately came out with no afib at all, as I read about.  The EP said not to make any judgements for 3 months, so I have to trust that he is right.
Just give is more time. Robb.  Although my ablation was for AVRT, the recovery symptoms were very similar.  It took many months for mine to settle down. Hang tough.
Thanks for the encouragement Tom.  It would be interesting to hear how you progressed through your recovery period.  Did you notice gradually shorter episodes of Afib or did you wake up one morning and they were completely gone?  Do you still get PAC's without going into Afib now?  I am noticing some good things, but it is gradual.  My AF burden time is 'trending' down but I only have 3 weeks of data to go by.  I just popped out of Afib a few minutes ago after about 4 hrs, where before the ablation, once I went into it, I would not have any relief for 24-48 hrs.  I probably will go back into it later today for awhile and then have a day or two of normal rhythm before the next episode.  That is where I stand 4 weeks after the procedure.  Also, I know that everyone is different and will have a different story to tell, but I am curious about yours.
As I mentioned above, my ablation was for SVT.  But the recovery symptoms are very similar.  Heart jumpiness, "heartache", that dull pain in the center of your chest, leg pain and bruise are all the same.  After mine, I returned to work in 4 days (with the weekend included), and was pretty much back to normal within 2 weeks except for a dark purple bruise of the inside of my thigh that extended down to my knee.  I hope that you're progressing well.
Thanks again.  I remembered after my last post that you had SVT, not Afib.  Yes, the soreness and the bruises are the same with me, but it sounds like after a few weeks you were pretty much free of the SVT's.  As I said, I am seeing gradual progress so am very optimistic for a good outcome even though it will take longer than your experience.
Just a quick update after 6 weeks from the ablation for Afib (I know, this post started with a question about recovery from ablation for tachycardia).  I saw my EP today and showed him the log that I have been keeping on my time spent in Afib.  It has trended down gradually, from 30% after the first week to about 10% now after 6 weeks.  He said that is what they are looking for and half of his patients take this long road down.  The ones that come out of the procedure without any episodes are in the minority.  I still have a ways to go and hope that I can get all of the way to zero.  I still get PAC's and sometimes skipped beats, which he said are also PAC's that occur very close to the normal beat.  To anyone just coming out of an ablation procedure- don't worry about any new or weird beats or lurches, things WILL get better.
I hope the trend continues in your favor.  Thanks for the update.