Heart Rhythm Community
Catheter ablation recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Catheter ablation recovery

8498717?1352393114
I had an ablation Tuesday.  I had a little swelling afterwards and the nurses applied pressure trying to get it to stop.  I went home at 4:00 after having the procedure at 9 am.  I've had no pain but Wednesday noticed swelling above the puncture holes about 4" by 2" and protruding 1/2".  Called the doctor's office and they said it was not unusual.  Then last night I noticed bruising or bleeding under the skin above and below the puncture marks.  It looked better this morning when I first got up but as the day goes by the discoloration gets darker.  I have no pain but I do not have my energy back.  Is this normal also or should I call the doctor again?

This discussion is related to Typical Recovery from Ablation.

Tags: Ablation Recovery
I had an ablation just over 2 weeks ago and have just got my energy back but still feel tired after a busy day. So don't worry, just be patient and your energy will come back..i think it takes a few days to get over the whole experience.
As for the swelling I had some swelling around my right insertion site, which has gone down.now. But if you are worried go to ypur gp and get checked to put your mind at ease. Just rest up and listen to your body.
Look up "Hematoma" in Wikipedia, and that's just how mine looked except it was on the inside of my leg.  The swelling is often blood and fluid leaking from the site.  If it drains out, it usually runs according to gravity; downward.  Mine was a large orange sized lump which broke and drained into my thigh.  It remain tender for perhaps 2 months until the discoloration reached my knee and finally faded.  I think you're typical.  Congratulations on getting your life back!
Jackie, I also wanted to say that it will take a little time, especially at our age until you're feeling yourself again.  While you recover, you may experience occasional "heart ache", a dull aching feeling right in the middle of your chest.  Others have reported quick ,sharp pains every now and then too.  I found that Ibuprophen really helped the heart ache feeling.  You'll get your energy back in a few weeks, and you may seem breathless at times during that period.  It's normal.  Also, don't be alarmed at feeling any skips and short, perhaps half dozen beat runs of SVT.  This is all part of the healing process which can take up to a year to clear out.  Get better!
Tom, you've described it all really well. I'm 3 weeks post ablation, Jackie. Wishing you all the best.
Tom has got it down to a T. Dont worry if you get a dull aching burn in your chest. It comes and goes.like tom said taking ibuprofenreally does help. Even.if you have to take it for a few days it helps with the leg and heart.
I found I suddenly had a burst of energy this week which was a nice feeling. Tired now though as it's been the first week back at work. So we have to all just take it slowly and we will get there.
Thanks for all the advice and support.  I ended up calling my doctor's office again and was told the bruising was normal.  I guess I'm just overly cautious or maybe paranoid since it was my heart they messed with.  I have felt a skip or something every now and then with my heart and wondered if the ablation really worked.  Good to hear its normal during healing.  I feel so much more confident after reading your posts.  Thanks a million!
Yeah i felt the skips for at least a week and a half. They have really calmed down now, even though i get the odd one when i'm tired. So hopefully you will notice them less and less. Even if you still do get them in the future i think you will pay less attention to them. I'm finding that even now if i get one i just think oh there it is and then get on with what i'm doing. Least they are nothing like how they used to be as i used to get a couple in a row and then the SVT would start. So one here and there does not bother me at all now.
Glad your Dr said the bruise is a normal one. My bruise is huge on my right leg so expect it to get bigger then what it is. But once the bruising is all out it does not hurt, just looks ugly.
Hi, Jackie:

I'm glad to read you are getting better. Swelling is normal :) And you are not paranoid, it is very important to let know your doctor about anything you think is unusual.

My fourth ablation is scheduled for next thursday and I am not very confident that this one will work, since I always had to return to heart medication before. But I hope this time is the lucky one.

My last ablation was in 2008 and I can't remember how many days it took me to go back to work. Does anyone know how long is the typical recovery period? Or how long it took you to get back to work? Thanks in advance.
I totally agree with the time it takes to heal. I had my ablation 6 weeks ago and I have the heart aches. Its very uncomfortable but as I was told and what I have read is that it takes a while to heal. If I could just get o er these dizzy and nausea spells I think I can handle it.