Heart Rhythm Community
Chest Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Chest Pain

Over about the last four years I have had these pains in my chest from time to time. The odd thing is that, the pains a lot of times feel different. Sometimes they are dull pains I can pinpoint with two fingers, other times they are sharp pains. I never have shortness of breath or any other symptoms. Does not get worse with exertion.

I have had 2 ekgs, that were "normal"

does it sound cardiac?
Few symptoms are more alarming than chest pain. In the minds of many people, chest pain equals heart pain. And while many other conditions can cause chest pain, cardiac disease is so common – and so dangerous – that the symptom of chest pain should never be dismissed out of hand as being insignificant.

“Chest pain” is an imprecise term. It is often used to describe any pain, pressure, squeezing, choking, numbness or any other discomfort in the chest, neck, or upper abdomen, and is often associated with pain in the jaw, head, or arms. It can last from less than a second to days or weeks, can occur frequently or rarely, and can occur sporadically or predictably. With such a broad definition, you can see why the term “chest pain” is itself of little help to doctors.

It is important to keep in mind that chest pain is merely a symptom, not a diagnosis. And because it can be a symptom of anything from a catastrophic to a trivial medical problem, when a person experiences chest pain it is important to try to characterize that pain as rapidly as possible as being either completely benign, or possibly significant.

Chest pain is merely a symptom, not a diagnosis. Many medical problems can cause chest pain, and before the chest pain can be adequately treated, the actual underlying cause needs to be identified. In young, healthy people presenting with chest pain, the condition "benign chest wall pain" is particularly common. This is a diagnosis that Dr's don't understand very well, and consequently neither do their patients. Because this condition is completely harmless, the lack of understanding on the part of patients as to what is causing the pain often leads to months or years of needless worry or anxiety.

You mention "2 ekg's being normal" Have you had any other testing and do you have any risk factors (hereditary or lifestyle) that would put you at a higher risk for heart disease?

My good friend Brooke! Thanks for your quick response? I don't think I have any risk factors. My cholesterol is good, I don't smoke, I exercise at least 3 days a week. What do you suggest I do? I don't want my Dr to think I'm a baby.
You're very welcome...I don't think you should worry about what the Dr will think of you...As I mentioned in the above post, "Chest pain should NEVER be ignored or dismissed" Get this evavaluated ASAP! :) Let me know how you make out. :)
That answer rocks! You're so smart, and I agree that chest pain should always be evaluated. Good luck Outtarhythm!