Heart Rhythm Community
Chest Wall Muscle and Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Chest Wall Muscle and Symptoms

Hi I have had Chest Wall Muscle Pains near My Heart for Eleven Weeks,I have had an ECG,My Blood Oxygen Checked,My Blood Pressure Checked,and a Chest Scan which all came back Normal Weeks ago.

But Eleven Weeks on I still have the same ammount of Pain in My Chest near The Heart.How long does a Chest Muscle take to heal? I have had Gel and Creams put on the Area,and have taking Pain Killers which helped for a while but,there is no Signs of it healing.

Also I have had Palpatations,and Feeling Tired and Dizzy.

I have been given Anxiety Tablets because,I am always Worried with The Pain that I might die in Weeks,Months,or Years of a Heart Attack.They did help my Palpatations but obviously The Pain is still there so My Anxiety is stil telling me I could die oneday of a Heart Attack,the fear of dieing does Control everything I do in My Life.

I am off My Pills now,The Pain remains though,The Pain is Tender to touch,If I bend down or Sideways its a Sharp Sore Pain,it is right where The Heart is.

Is it Safe to Drink Alcohol at Christmas in Large Quantitys? I am hoping to Drink on Christmas Day,Boxing Day up until New Years Day like I usually do.6-7 on Christmas Day and a few everyday up until New Years day? I usually do each year,but as I have this Pain it wont Trigger a Heart Attack will it? I love my Drink at Christmas,so it would be disapointing not to drink at Christmas.

Am I ok to not worry about my Pains anymore? Eleven Weeks I have had all this Problems,tis it a Pulled Muscle,and how long can I expect for it heal?

Thank you for Your Time,I appreciate it.

Hi Steve...

I am so sorry to hear that your're still dealing with this pain:( It really is hard to predict how long this healing will take. Recovery is typically a unique experience that varies from person to person.

You have to start convincing yourself that your heart is fine. You have had all the proper tests and they all showed a nice healthy heart:)

As for drinking...if you're already feeling lousy, I can only imagine that adding alcohol to the mix may only spell trouble. It will probably increase the intense feelings that you're already having. If you must drink, than I suggest no more than 2 drinks.

I hope that this is going to resolve soon...Keep telling yourself..."My heart is fine, I'm not going to have a heart attack."
Your mention a "chest scan", was that an echocardiogram?  If not you may want to suggest getting such a test, it is, I believe the "gold standard" test for measuring the mechanical status of the heart chambers and valves.

As for drinking, well I'd like to have more than one (my usual limit, even taken by some to be good for you), but only on special occasions to I have more in any 24 hour period.

Depending on your size, and history relative to alcohol consumption, I'd say a few more than one drank over a "long" period of time may not cause much trouble.  For my self I might have as much as three glasses of win in a evening that included dinner, e.g., one before, one with and either a second with or one sometime after dinner.  Here I'm thinking at least 4 hours of time passing during the drinking.   I don't think it is good for anyone to drink much more, and possibly illegal in most states in the USA if you're going to drive a vehicle on public roads.
Hi Brooke

Yeah its a shame I still have the Pain,Eleven Weeks now and it usually Hurts when I bend down,turn over in bed,and I can just be sitting down and breathing and it hurts.

My Doctor has said he has done all he can do.

My Worrying comes from the Pain,because all the time I have that I fear I will die.

It surely must just be my Muscle?

Its a shame Im like this,and near Christmas because I love being Merry at Christmas and my whole Family will be drinking nice amounts.:-(
Hi Jerry

My Scan was an X Ray I think because I was in a Room and they took a Picture,so I think it was an X Ray.

I live in England,and I cant drive and wouldnt think about it if I was Drinking.

My Wife thinks I am making it worse by worrying,she is probably right.

I would love to just wakeup and all these problems are gone.
hi guys
just a different picture on this i too suffer from costo in the chest wall muscles under my breast and accross the ribs around my back ,i get flares all the time and it may last days to weeks i understand it is difficult not to worry about the heart being involved ,but trapped nerves ,digestion problems ,anxiety ,stress ,lack of exercise ,breathing wrong ,will make the situition worst ,have u tried swimming ,streching the muscles every morning ,acupunctue,massage ,a hot water bottle placed over the area at night,fish oils have anti-inflammatory properties ,these muscles we use every day from eating to breathing ,there is a good post on here about breathing exercises to relax the muscles in relation to yoga ,
as for drinking everything in moderation is best employed even in the super healthly ,i hope this eases up for u soon and u have a nice christmas ,
Hello...

Thank you for discussing your costochondritis history and the remedies that work for you. I was so hoping that SOMEBODY would come along and help our poor friend, Steve.

Now he can read your story and hopefully be relieved to know that he's not alone and that his symptoms are quite normal with this problem.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
sure always glad to help if i can

costochondritis can be chronic i'm sure u know i had this for a few yrs i really find swimming and the hot water bottle at night when flares are bad to work rather than taking anti-inflammatory meds ,it is so hard to rest these muscles ,i am booked for acupuncture for mine start of jan ,,cant wait to see how it goes but i hear it has great results

hope u are well      great work in here
I, too, suffer from costochondritis, and it can be mighty scarry at first as lots of the feelings feel like they are heart related. After that was ruled out, however, it was discovered that I did indeed have costo.

Using a hot water bottle, sitting in a hot bath with epsom salts or a heating pad helps lots. I have had acupuncture treatment for mine, sometimes it helpes, others times, nothing, depends on the severity of it at the time. My chiropractor works on it too, but again, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Being uptight causes mine to act up, or, when I walk in cold weather like today, I am holding myself tight and of course the pain starts. As Lagoya said, gas, nerves, anxiety, stress, you name it, can make it flare up, I know mine sure does.

Hope this helps some.
Susie
Thanks for The Information everyone,Do you think I have Costochondritis then? I also have dizzyness and Palpatations with it,do you get this aswell?

And is Costochondritis harmless,there is chance of dieing with it is there?

Lastly does Costochondritis heal eventually over time?

I will try the Water Bottle Tonight.:-)
costo wont kill you ,the palps are just natural from 1 the anxiety that comes with such sharp pains 2 the mis breathing that accompanies the pains ,and if related to digestion pressure on the vagus nerve with trip the heart into palps cause they are all connected like a big circuit just like the wiring in your house ,if one socket blows others might blow too ,just a silly example
costo is just a painful muscle tear and i am sure if u were too stay stuck in the one position without moving an inch it would heal in a few days but that is impossible,try the heat thearphy at night ,strech the muscles well in the morning ,if u still are worried about the palps ask for an event monitor which u can wear for a few weeks and u can press a button which will record the palps when u get them ,if there is something else going on ,or if it is just an increase in hr related to the pain ,and the area of pain it will show and may put your mind at ease ,,,,
did u ever twist your angle when u were small or later if u did im sure u know it is painful and hard to walk on so people dont walk on them and they heal and get forgotten ,,that is what is hard about costo trying to rest the trapped nerves ,but it will subside

be strong ,be happy ,be safe
Thanks Lagoya,So I should be able to Relax now then you think? Even with The Pain is it fine for me to Relax,and enjoy my Life now I know I wont Die?

Thanks.
i to have a pulled chest muscle. i have smoked for many years & when i cough. look out talk about pain. ouch. i do alot of overhead painting & i think that's how this all came about. i am 51 yrs. old how long will this treterous pain go on. have to go back to work sometime. any info will be app.  thank you very much.
This post was four years ago....lol