Heart Rhythm Community
Circulation Booster and Atrial Fibrillation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

This is probably relevant for any arrhythmia sufferer.  These circulation boosters work by transmitting electrical signals to the feet and ankles (and any other part of the body with electrode pads).  There is a contra indication for those with pacemakers, but I am wondering whether these are safe to use with any arrhythmia, such as AF or SVT for instance.  My husband and myself are both AF sufferers, his being permanent and mine paroxysmal (awaiting ablation).  I note there is a distinct lack of answers to such questions which would indicate that as yet, the product being relatively new, there are none.  What would this forum advise just from common sense?
I don't know about this particular equipment but i am an electrical engineer (retired) and was  involved in a lot of hospital projects over many years. I was particularly involved in the early design and installations of equipment which islolated ICU's and theatres from 'stray electrical leakage' which occurs everywhere in all types of buildings.
Medical research based on actual cases concluded  that a minute current of less than 50 milliamps could, and was interfering with patient heart rythms during cardiac proceedures. possibly resulting the death of a number of people and that in the opinion of the cardiac specialists equipment to isolate the equipment was essential. The early 'protection systems' also included earthing all metal items such as bed frames etc with heavy duty low resistance copper electrodes, and the power supplies were 'filtered' by equipment called line isolation transformers.
My company carried out the first installation of this system in Australia in a major public hospital cardiac / ICU wing and the equipment was developed by Siemens. Nowdays, it is routinely installed in medical facilities and has been developed enormously from the huge transformers that were the original equipment items. Sorry to waffle, but I guess the point is that with my experience I am absolutely opposed to the use of any type of electrical equipment on any part of the body that isn't done under strict qualified medical supervision.I have posted before (you may remember) and suffer from SVT's which thankfully are fairly well controlled by Tenormin (after  trial dosage adjustments) and my wife has permanent AF.
I have debilitating osteo arthritis and spinal degeneration with spurs in my neck and am in constant pain, but I will not try anything electrical to relieve that pain because of the uncertainty and lack of knowledge about possible effects these 'gadgets' might have.
Wow. Thats fascinating information. I am so glad you shared that! Thank you.
Chiropractors and others routinely use low voltage AC muscle stimulators (tens) for persons with muscle spasms.  Such equipment is also used for muscle stimulation of paralyzed limbs. I am an afibber and use one of the machines in my own home.  I have never experienced, or heard of, any problems originating from the use of that equipment.
Maybe I'm a victim of the old problem - the more you know the more you think you know. I know that a lot of these stimulators are in general use and I admit I haven't heard about any problems and am glad you get on well with yours and hope it helps you. Nevertheless I do still think that I would only use one myself under medical supervision; registered chiropractors and physiotherapists are trained in their use as far as I know. Anyway, all the best. regards, kev.
Thank you for the information.  If you call the firms who make such equipment, they state categorically that apart from pacemakers, they are perfectly safe.  However, my own instinct tells me that anything which affects electrical impulses just has to be questionable when the rhythm of the heart is already disturbed by abnormal electrical signals.  We used the circulation booster a few times, I had further AF episodes and felt instinctively it was unwise to continue, so we have sent it back for a refund.  I agree that those who use these electrical devices do so at their own risk, which may be very slight to nothing, or downright dangerous depending on their condition and of course, the discovery of a definitive answer.
Hi Jo
I am very pleased that you have decided to err on the side of caution with this because I was a bit concerned (even though you are a Pom - smiling ).

Kev
But?  Is it considered safe for those with a healthy heart?