Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Clarification as to pain on left side behind breast / under arm

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hello Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. To start my story off, I am a 34 year old female, slightly over weight but all in all good health. 8 months ago I had a full cardio work up due to palpitations... EKGs, Echo, 30 day monitor. Everything came back good (per the doc my echo was slightly dilated but well within normal limits) and I had single beat PVCs on my holter. Around the same time as my heart testing, my panic and anxiety came back full swing and I developed chest pain directly behind my left breast. It would come and go. My EP and cardio  told me this pain was not heart related and basically that I am fine, to stay off stimulants and have a nice life. So, I began seeing a therapist and Psychiatrist who said many people can have psychosomatic pain.  My general doc did all the test, Upper MRI (which found a slightly slipped disc in my neck) sonogram of my upper chest (to test gall bladder etc), chest xray and all came back normal as well. After awhile my "breast pain" slowed down and is more rare now.

Here is where my questions come in:

Over the past month or so I have been having pains to the left of my left breast, below my armpit. It is a throbbing pain, actually goes with my heart beat. Will last a few seconds then stop.  May happen a few times or may only happen once in a few hours. Sometimes it can be relieved when I move positions and it seems to hurt a bit worse when I fully exhale.  I notice it happens when I am sitting (not when standing) and more so when I am at the computer.  

What do you think this could possibly be (most people I ask seem to think it is muscle / skeletal related)?  

Also, in your opinion are PVCs truly benign in a healthy heart?

I guess the magic question for that, is, as a PVC sufferer am I more likely to develop VT or another harmful ryhthm then say a person who does not suffer from frequent PVCs?

Thank you again Doctor,
Dear dolphin8808,

Thanks for posting your query.

Yes, the pain is most likely to be musculoskeletal in origin, meaning pain originates in your muscles or bones and it's most likely to be related to some abnormality in your posture. A proper posture needs to be assumed when you sit or position your monitor key pad or mouse. Please get them corrected and your pain should go away. The following link will provide information on the posture you should ideally assume when you are working: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/positions.html

PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions) are of no major consequence in people with healthy hearts. They don't predict any major arrhythmias.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol.
Thank you doctor for responding and I will be sure to look into modifying my posture. I am sure you know that many people with "heart anxiety" tend to tie everything to their hearts no matter where the pain is felt :)